Crossover Cable Needed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DXoverDY, Apr 28, 2005.

1. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2005
    I've heard that PowerBooks have something built in that allows you to not have to have a cross over cable? Is this true? I mean for just connecting to computers together over cat 5. One would be a PC, the other would be a Rev C Powerbook.
  2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    The port is auto-sensing. It switches the pins around in software so that you don't need to use a crossover cable. It also means you could use a crossover cable going direct to a router.

All PowerBook G4s have it, and the G3s too IIRC. The iBook G4s I think have the auto-sensing port too... but you might want to check it out.
  3. makisushi macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    interesting...I have never heard of that.
    I have used a crossover cable to connect my Ti with various computers.
    If this is true, it make my life easier when I don't have a crossover, and I am only able to transfer data over wireless b :mad:
  4. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    My G5 and Digital Audio do this as well.

Connecting my G5 to the Digital Audio, does not require a Crossover cable. I am not sure if the DA is Auto sense.
  5. DXoverDY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2005
    Sweet we just tried it here at school to transfer a few of the FireFly episodes since Serenity is coming soon i wanted to check it out to see if it was any good before I bought the dvd's, and yes i will buy the dvd's if it's good. :p

Plugged cable in to both machines, set a manual ip address, connected via SMB and away we went.

I looked it up it's Auto-MDIX if you wanna look for more info.

Yet another reason why I love this PowerBook. Weee