Crossover connection PB - iMac Mini

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by arrakis73, Feb 26, 2005.

1. arrakis73 macrumors newbie

Feb 16, 2005
    Hallo, I own an iMac Mini and next week my new PB will ship. The iMac is used for home, while the PB will be used for work.

Sometimes I will need to transfer large data or directories (the USB pen drive I have is not big enough), so I just want to ask if is possibile to connect them without buying an AirPort station.

With my pc I used a crossover cable connection for such purpose when the router is not available. Is it possible to use the same trick with mac? And if so, what kind of parameters and where have I to configure?

Thanks a lot for any reply.
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    You can do the same, but you don't need a crossover cable. Standard ethernet with do as the PowerBook at least (not sure on the Mini) has a very clever ethernet port that will switch to crossover for you as required. The machines should probably see each other automatically via Rendevous so no configuration.
  3. arrakis73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 16, 2005
    The IMac mini has its own ethernet connector, and so the PB has. Since I am a Mac newbie, after injecting the crossover cable into PB and mini ports, what have I to do exactly?
  4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    As said before, you don't need a crossover cable. A regular ethernet cable will work. If you have a crossover already, then that will work too.

I would go into system preferences and then sharing and allow access by ftp on which ever computer you want. Use the other computer to ftp into it and their you go. may be much easier to use target mode and a firewire cable. Restart computer 1 while holding down the letter 'T' on the keyboard. The computer will boot up and the firewire logo will float around the screen. Boot computer 2 normally. Connect the two computers with a firewire cable and you should see the hard drive of computer 1 on computer 2's desktop.
  5. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Also if you have a firewire cable, hook your two computers up and restart your mini whilst holding down 't' to boot it in firewire target mode. The mini will then appear on your PB's desktop. Or vice versa of course.

Edit: beaten to it!
  6. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    i say do the firewire trick... much faster than ethernet
  7. arrakis73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 16, 2005
    Thanks to every one. I will buy a firewire cable as soon as possible, but until then I will use a normal ethernet cable.

Thanks a lot. :)