Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I used it to install Visio and Ultima Online on my MacBook Pro. It's less demanding than a virtual session, i dont have to reboot in to windows and for the applications that ive installed and used it is great!

Currently i have installed and run these apps
Ultima Online
Visio Current Version
OneNote Current Version
Railroad Tycoon

Here is the company site http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ there is a compatibility list there too.

Attached is a image of UO running seemingly native in OS X :D

Ed

Attachments

• UO_Mac.jpg
    UO_Mac.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 662

coolchan

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2006
I tried it with Half Life 2 on a MBP the other day. Everything seems to work great, but the loading time was killing me. Went back to Bootcamp.

Hannibales

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2006
Il2 1946

I've just managed to get Il2 Sturmovik 1946 to run on my Mac Pro using Crossover. I thought I'd write a set of instructions as to how I did it as this game isn't supported as of yet. I used Crossover 6.0.0 on a Mac Pro (7300GT) running 10.4.8.

1. Create a win98 bottle and install il2 onto it. (Seemed to be the only bottle type that it would correctly install on.)

2. Create a winXP bottle and drag the Ubisoft folder into it from the win98 bottle (just a straight drag and drop in the Finder).

3. Download and install these dlls into the winXP bottle (drag them into the system32 folder) : d3dx9_30.dll, bootvid.dll, hal.dll, kdcom.dll . http://www.dlldump.com/ is the place to get these.

4. Download and install a No-DVD Crack for 1946. This is to avoid the SecuROM system which is currently unsupported by Crossover and will prevent your legally bought copy from running.

5. Restart the bottle

6. Using the Run Command in the Programs Menu, browse for il2fb.exe and run it.

7. Try not to get shot down! :D

P.S. I had previously installed IE6 on the winXP bottle to help with Medieval 2 Total War ( almost running BTW, more later! :) ), whether this made any difference to IL2 1946 I can't be sure, but you might try this if it doesn't work.

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Good work dude. Would love to see some FPS benchmarks if you are able. :D

What graphics card, cpu speed and memory config are you running?

Hannibales

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2006
Mac Pro 2.66GHz, 1GB RAM (2x 512MB), Nvidia 7300GT 256MB.

I'll have a look for a programme to get the fps for ya, I'm kinda intrigued about it too. I have it running at 1024x768 and all the settings maxed out and the only time it even slightly jitters is when there's a whole load of dust at take-off!

P.S. Oh yeah, almost forgot, I got Medieval 2 running in the same XP bottle as IL2. The only thing is that none of the battles work, so it's more Civ3 than Gladiator, but I think I may have found the answer.

LtRammstein

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't like CrossOver as much as you guys. For one, if you run a game in fullscreen mode, it won't fill in the whole screen, so me and my iMac I get 2 black bars on the side.

Not to mention you can't really much anything else with ease unless you have a lot of RAM.

I'd rather just use Bootcamp and do my Mac things on my iBook.

Steve

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I love Crossover.

I bought it, and use it for running Office 2003 on my MacBook Pro. IMHO it's the best way of running Office on an Intel Mac. Office 2004 is pretty slow, and misses a couple of apps.
Parallels is gr8 too, but you need a "real" version of Windows (which makes it expensive).
Obviously Boot Camp is not very practical to simply open a Word, or Publisher file.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
and for interests sake, has anyone tried MS OFfice 2007 on it? or for that matter Frontpage 2003

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Damn you! It has been about 4 years since I stopped play UO and you just made me want to install it again.

Mil

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2007
I need HELP w/Crossover

It took 3 hours to download Crossover (for trial period) last night on a phone connection (no other option available where I live...in the boonies!); but I don't know what Im doing...got 1 program (CreataCard+) to run, but it didn't print in color. Couldn't get other programs to run at all.

Forgot to mention that I have an iMac 20" Intel Core Duo w/1GB SDram.

When I tried to contact Codeweavers on the Ticket System (?), I was told that I didn't purchase it, so no help.

I would greatly appreciate anyone who is willing to share a phone # that I could call you on and possibly get someone to "walk" (talk) me through. If I can get the few old CDs I have to run, then I would be happty to purchase same.

Thought about buying Parallels and Windows, but for what I want, it's not worth the $.

THANX!
Mil

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
As soon as I get an Intel Mac I want to try this, but there is one thing that I was wondering since it lets you run windows programs will it let you get a windows virus on your Mac?

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Yeah I've been using CrossOver for about a month now, it has been one of the best purchases I have made for my iMac. I can play Jedi Outcast II on it and it seems a lot faster than running it on Vista, I really like the fact how there's a list of tried and tested software on CrossOver's web site it takes some of the hassle out of wondering if a program works or not. I've also heard Cider is pretty darn good as well from work friends.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
As soon as I get an Intel Mac I want to try this, but there is one thing that I was wondering since it lets you run windows programs will it let you get a windows virus on your Mac?

That is a really good question! I mean it wouldn't infect the OSX, but what kind of problems would you have with crossover if a virus infected its files?

Also, I am afraid of BootCamp. I tried doing GRUB, Windows for games, Linux for everything else, and I ended up staying in Windows more and more because it started to become a hassle that I just wanted to play vids and music and everything else, but was tired of having to reboot several times just to do what I want. I really hope that CrossOver will satisfy my latenight CS:S cravings (as I have seen YouTube vids showing people getting it to run on CO) :)

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Direct X?

The games you guys are saying that work in Crossover; Don't they need Direct X to run?

I tried Crossover to run a game and the game didn't work because it needed Direct X. :(

Hugh

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Direct X?

The games you guys are saying that work in Crossover; Don't they need Direct X to run?

I tried Crossover to run a game and the game didn't work because it needed Direct X. :(

Hugh

stinkybisquits

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2007
I can't get Codeweavers' sight to open. Does anyone know if they are down, or if there is some other place I can buy Crossover? I'd really love to use our PC photoshop, without having to buy a new version of it.
Thanks in advance; nice forum setup!

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The site comes up fine for me right now.

Here's the page for the compatibility database-
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

Not every app is going to have been tested obviously, but there's a lot of user reports posted.

In my personal experience testing it, it seems to work pretty well for regular Windows apps, but even simple games run pretty slowly on my MacBook. By 'simple' I mean really basic stuff (i.e. non-3D.) But YMMV-

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
CrossOver is really good, but there is a few programs that don't work completely.

Great software though - run any Windows app natively without running Windows on your Mac, brilliant.

Bootcamp is the best thing for games though.

stinkybisquits

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2007
Finally got it to come up in the evening, and life is wonderful. With a new mac (no more windows!) and our programs running, my wife actually enjoys her graphic arts job again!

SSpiro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I got CrossOver about two days ago. I installed a few proprietary programs I need for work that are not listed on the compatibility list nor supported install - and they work PERFECTLY, and on top of that, MUCH better then the PC I have on my desk at the office.

It's absolutely amazing.. Best program ever. I'll NEVER need my PC ever again. Thank god.

imMAColata

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Anyone with experience running SuperMemo 2004 or different version?

I need that program for language study, and it would be super if it could run wihtout having to boot Parallels everytime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.