CrossOver Mac is awsome!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aaron.lee2006, Dec 10, 2006.

1. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I love it. I got Counter-Strike 1.6 loaded and running perfectly!

Thank You Code Weavers!

Post what you guys have got running!

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I can't get anything to run. I tried to load OfficeXP (2002) and I can't get it to work. Oh, actually I got IE running (from the office install) but it is mostly useless. I have tried a bunch of other (unsupported stuff) and none of it works. When I first heard of CrossOver I thought it was going to be a great solution, but now I think not.

3. JAT macrumors 603

I haven't paid for it, but I tested it with a database/library application. Worked after some fiddling to get it to display correctly. I have Parallels so I'll probably never get this, but it seemed to be cool.

4. afornander macrumors 6502

i tried to get it to work with myspaceim, and silkroad (mmo) but with both of them i couldnt get connected to the internet.:(

5. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

Were you really able to get CS up and runnign well ?

6. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Yup it loaded and ran just as well as any pc or mac with bootcamp!

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

So after bashing (kind of; see above) CrossOver I uninstalled it and then reinstalled. Since then I have been able to install OfficeXP and Photoshop 7. They both run, fairly well. I rarely ever use PhotoShop and don't want to spend $150 on Office that is going to have to run through Rosetta, so I think I will [pre]buy this and use it as a solution until the next Office for Mac comes out next year.

8. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

9. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I'll do a full net_graph tomorrow when I get the time, but Counter-Strike 1.6 can only hit 60 FPS when VSYNC is enabled so I obviously hit 60 and I would say somewhere near 100 or higher. But wait until I do that calculation tomorrow.

10. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

Yeah I use it for Steam (Counterstrike 1.6). Last time I tried to play Day of Defeat it was still buggy........ I haven't tried that in a lil though.

11. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

12. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Sorry, I was out of town all night, I'll do it tomorrow afternoon! :D

13. adiosk8 macrumors regular

I installed crossover when I first got my mac, CS 1.6 worked ok since it a very graphic demanding game, but when I installed counter strike source it was basically unplayable, frames were less then 20 . I run it in windows and I get 70+ no problem.

14. Eric Sadoyama macrumors newbie

As a new Mac user, what surprised me was how rare it was that I couldn't find an OS X app that did what I needed. So far I have only needed to run CrossOver Mac for two apps, both of which were specialized technical programs. Then again, I haven't tried using it for any games yet. :rolleyes:

I hope CodeWeavers puts out more detailed documentation when CrossOver Mac goes gold. Some Windows apps I can install in a bottle, like you'd expect, but in other cases I can't -- instead, I need to open an empty bottle and run the app from a command line. I still haven't quite figured out when and why I need to do one versus the other.

15. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

im gonna give this a try after aaron posts his screen..its sounding pretty good for cs 1.6

Aarne, im guessing you wernt able to get those stats yesterday ?

16. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

lmao I forgot about this thread. I'm sorry I'll give it a shot now.

I keep getting a connection error on login. I will do it in a little bit.

UPDATE: STEAM IS HAVING MAJOR SERVER PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW.

From Steam Forums:

There is currently a wide spread power outage in Bellevue/Seattle impacting Steam Server availability. Unfortunately ETA for when the power will be restored is unknown as the power company will only work on restoring it once the storm has eased and the high winds have died down.

Any issues you are experiencing with connecting to Steam are only temporary, as this isn't an end-user issue.

Please check this Forum or Steam News for further updates.

17. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

well dang.. that sucks... hopefully they will be back up soon !!!!

18. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

19. ripper407 macrumors newbie

would someone be able to post clear instructions to install counter strike 1.6 on crossover 6.2.1

every time i try to install i get a error message at the end of the installation saying that something is missing