Crowded House drummer dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by aafuss1, Mar 28, 2005.

1. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

What a shame! I was just listening to "Don't Dream It's Over" this morning in the car.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

am i alone in thinking that Split Enz was a better band than Crowded House?

4. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

Not from where i'm sitting.

Split Enz was an average band before Neil joined - and a great one afterwards. He is simply one of the greatest songwriters of this generation.

Temple of Low Men is such an amazing album, eclipsing anything Split Enz did. I saw CH the day Paul quit (in Columbus, OH). They were forced to use Sheryl Crow's drummer (she was the opening act) - and in true Finn style, Neil called up numerous people in the audience who swore they could drum... needless to say, Paul was missed that evening -- and now he'll truly be missed. Thankfully Neil is still in full swing. I'd suggest catching the Finn Bros. tour if you can - I saw it a few weeks ago and it was incredible.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is always very sad when someone gets to the point where only option is suicide. My prayers go out to his family and friends. :(

6. noel4r macrumors 6502a

It's a shame indeed, I wonder what went wrong.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He didn't want to go peacefully otherwise he would not of hung himself. Of all the ways to kill yourself hanging cant be the best.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if ya do it right, you snap your neck and die instantly. if it's the wrong way, suffocation, that's nasty.

9. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

My thought are with his friends and family too.
    Having had a friend commit suicide, I know they will suffer greatly over this.

10. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I saw Split Enz's last ever gig in Kamo College, Whangarei (New Zealand) years ago. Great band...

Paul Hester was a classic comedian - and he was a great performer for both Split Enz AND Crowded House (and made a fantastic cameo in the Wiggles' video of "Fruit Salad"!). I was gutted to hear of his passing.

Neil and Tim are currently touring the UK, and I was unfortunate to miss their gig on Monday night at the Royal Albert Hall. I'm sure it would have been dedicated to their good friend.

I'd like to think that his family and friends know we're all thinking of them in this difficult time, and that he leaves a legacy as a classic musician. He will be sorely missed by all who knew (of) him.

:(

11. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Local reports are tending to suggest that it might be as a result of his recent relationship failure (to his girlfriend), whom possibly he was hoping for a long term future with. There have also been suggestions of possible history of depression as well.

My thoughts go out to his two daughters... 8 and 10 yrs old I believe and to his extended family and friends...

There is no good way to suicide, and suicide impacts on many people.

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Their greatest hits CD is one of those that I've just about worn out from listening to it so much. Very sad to hear about this.

13. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Funny, over the past few days I've been thinking about how great Crowded House was. Fond memories of my first "solo" concert, seeing CH at a small nightclub in San Francisco in 1987. They were great fun. RIP PH.

14. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

Norman Cook

OK, I had confused the Housemartins and Crowded House temporarily and since NC (AKA Fatboy Slim) was the drummer for the Housemartins I thought Cook had died. :eek:

15. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Trust me when it gets to that stage rational thinking is the last thing on your mind. While it might have been planned the type of suicide usually reflects the persons personality. If they are at the point of no return you take the route you know you won't back out of. For him it was probably the most opportune way.
    Things like this are very sad and put a lot of matters in perspective. Suffering from depression myself I feel that mental illness (not a term endeared to the heart through out history) remains one of the least understood aspects of health and still has a stigma attached to it even though the past 20 years have brought it in to the realms of conversation.
    My deepest sympathy goes out to his friends and family. Music is one of the best therapies so when someone who has helped bring so much joy to the world dies it makes their passing even harder to come to terms with.

16. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I still have great childhood memories of repeatedly listening to Time and Tide while playing Pitfall on our Atari 2600 with my brothers. What a great album.

17. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i'll always have a soft spot for Woodface.
    rip.

18. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

HA.. I grew up in Whangarei. I didn't know their last gig was at Kamo though.