Crowds cheer Anti american film in Turkey

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/13/news/journal.php

( This page is over two pages, I've pasted the first column - go to the link to see the story in its entirety)

STANBUL The crowd cheered, clapped and whistled as the Turkish agent plunged the knife into the chest of the enemy commander.
    "Valley of the Wolves - Iraq," which opened last week in movie theaters in Turkey, Austria and Germany, is a Rambo-like action story involving, in this case, Turkish gunmen who seek revenge against a tyrannical occupying army.
    But in this version, the most expensive movie ever made in Turkey, the enemy is no oppressive third-world dictatorship. The commander's name is "Sam" - as in Uncle - and the opposing forces are Americans, who are being punished for offenses against Turkish as well as Iraqi pride and honor.
    Sam William Marshall, played by Billy Zane, is portrayed as a sociopath, killing people without a second ( continued ... see link ).

2. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Wonderful. Just wonderful. I wonder if this has the potential to erode U.S.-Turkey relations.

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

It will have no effect. US-Turkey relations are, have been and will continue to be based on mutual political needs (anyone remember Turkey's role in the Cuban missile crisis?). The citizenry can do and say WTF they like.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd think the US' tarnished image in iraq would do more damage than a silly film.

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

It was bound to happen eventually. Doubtless the administration will look upon this as a PR problem, saying that we're "not getting our message out". Hm. I think the message has come across loud and clear.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As I understand it the film is about a rogue group of US troops that get it in the end. Is it really that different than rogue US troops holding San Fran hostage in "The Rock" or German mercenaries causing trouble in "Die Hard: With a Vengeance"?

Obviously there is political baggage w/this film but I don't think it's anything to read too much into it. I mean, how many US films have non-US people as the antagonists?

I think the most eyebrow raising thing I read in the OP's link is that "Mein Kampf" was a best seller last year in Turkey.

Lethal

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, and you'll remember that more recently, the US was refused the right to use Turkey as a staging area for invading Iraq. It's one thing when the crisis is halfway around the world and entirely another when it's in their own back yard. No surprise there, what's worrying are a couple of things: growing Muslim fundamentalism, Turkey's painful struggle to join the EU and increasing worry over the ultimate fate of Iraqi Kurds.

It's not at a crisis point but it wouldn't take much to get there.

8. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Do you blame them?

How many American action films portray Muslims as sociopaths?

9. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

So yer saying this film is a response to the actions of Hollywood and not the actions of the White House?

Lethal

11. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

to the extent that both project a fantasy to the outside world that bears little or no relation to the behind the scenes machinations that create it, i'd say probably a little of both.
    Probably most of what they hear about America comes from Hollywood (or their equally fantastical friends at Fox ;) ), most of what they see of America, roaring over their heads, comes courtesy of the White House.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I would have to disagree with you on that one. Sure, Hollywood has an impact and Rupert Murdoch's fiefdom is known for its fanaticism, but IMO, most people's info comes from their own media.

Where do you get your news about America from? Fox or The Age or...

I spent 6 weeks in Europe last fall and of course most of the people I hung out with were Aussies or Kiwis and even though they're well versed, usually, in world events, there was a lot of misinformation about the US. America, for most of the world is a myth, not a reality.

13. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Sure - that's what i mean. The picture we get here of the US is composed almost entirely of what we see in the movies or from CNN etc. The bulk of our media here just take whatever comes in off the satellite and put it on the screen. When it comes to news about the US we have no idea what the truth is beyond the projected fantasy. When it comes to the US acting abroad, i have to say that the disconnect between what you're telling us and what most other people are telling us is large enough to generate considerable suspicion.

You're dead right - we have no idea for the most part, who or what you are in reality. That's a problem, and i think, the point i was trying (but obviously failing) to make.

I've liked just about every American I've met and I am endlessly grateful for the bountiful cultural gifts you've bestowed on the world. That doesn't mean i buy the whole package however, or value any less dearly my own culture, or feel any less hurt and dismayed when it's threatened or subverted.

14. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I imagine that the filmakers were trying to make the US the bad guy in the movie because they are sick of how many American movies make Muslims the bad guys. The political climate also has something to do with it no doubt. There doesn't have to be one cause alone.

Hell, I'd go see it. It would be a refreshing change to see it from the other side.