CRT 17" Studio Display, stock w/ G4 cube

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gashwn, Jun 25, 2005.

1. gashwn macrumors newbie

i've moved quite a bit in the last couple years well my monitor screen got scratched up. Not scratched really cause the 'face' has a texture/film on it and thats what is coming off and it lookes brighter where the marks are. I tried taking this 'face' off but cant get it and don't want to break. It has 2 slots on each side, i know thats how to get it off but having difficulties and getting frustrated so i stopped. Anyone have any ideas on how to repair myself?

2. gashwn thread starter macrumors newbie

Also

Having trouble with my usb port (i think) At least once a session on puter my whole keyboard and pro mouse die and have to restart?? Sometimes, once actually, i unplugged it and it came back but now it never does. Had everything since '01 so i'm bound to start having some type of trouble, right?
    :confused:

3. Plastic Avatar macrumors member

Yikes.

I've got no suggestions for fixing the monitor you have. I will say you can get a replacement cheap on ebay if you want the same monitor.

$100 or so with shipping is fairly normal, if you watch for it.

It's a great monitor. Big, but great.

4. gashwn thread starter macrumors newbie

The 'face' isn't the monitor screen itself. thats what i want to take off and get repaired. it sits probably a 1/8"- 1/4" from the actual monitor itself. Like a cover, thats whats damaged. Thx for the info, might look into it. Yes it is nice but tooo big, might just upgrade to flat.

5. gashwn thread starter macrumors newbie

The USB ports are in the side of the monitor so if that goes definitely getting rid of. Would still like some more insight on face plate repair. I keep coming up with diff names for it. Anyone know the real name would like to know that too. LOL. :eek:

6. gashwn thread starter macrumors newbie

spinne1

i tried looking but it won't let me view. It says i don't have the plug in. I'm running OS 9.1 (runs best for me) i don't know if that'll make a diff., but ever since OS 10 came out i have trouble with viewing, using certain things. It won't even let me choose my own program when i use that link. I've got adobe so i don't know what the problem is.

in addition:
    I have my Dad's start up CD/DVD'S for his power book G4 with OS 10.3.2 on it but i cant get my puter to start up from it. i've copied and restarted, i've started up holding C. Neither work. Lost cause???

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

PM me with your email address if you want it emailed to you. It's about 6.0MB though.

Doubt it'll ever work. Apple started making their restore CDs machine-specific.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i'd seriously consider getting a new moniter, those 17" CRT"s put a rather big stress on your cubes power brick and most upgade manufactures dont support there upgrades with an ADC CRT moniter.

if the problems you are having justify a new monitor i would not get annother ADC CRT one as it's dead end and wont work with newer hardware (DVI-ADC adapters dont support them)

i'd either get a new apple display if i were rich (bear in mind new apple displays require a geforce 2 or a 7500 so you will probably need to upgrade if you have a rage 128, you can get cheap 5200's on ebay so you get core image and support for high res moniters, or if i were poor i'd get a 17" LCD for about $200.

9. gashwn thread starter macrumors newbie

The main prob with my monitor is cosmetic. Other than that the usb which really wouldn't b that expensive to fix (i kinda think its my keyboard though, its my second one, keys went out on the other.) Thx for the info though. :)

10. gashwn thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a rage128 too. So maybe its time to put some love into my puter. :cool:

11. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Yes, you can view it. Don't try to view it from within your browser. Instead, click the link in my post and hold the mouse button down, then select SAVE TO... (or whatever option sounds close to that). Save it anywhere on your computer, the desktop being the easiest to find. Then, open Adobe Acrobat Reader (almost all macs have it on there, and if not, download it--Google the name of the app and you'll find it). Open it with Acrobat Reader. You will be able to see it just fine.

12. gashwn thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried saving it like that and it wouldn't work. i got it in email. Thxs for sending it too. But that's monitor on there is old compared to mine. mine is completely clear on the back and sides. the face plate is the only thing on it that is like the 'cube' the rest is clear. the legs on it is actually a continuous piece of clear plastc that 'flows' around to form a type of tri-pod. i'll post pic hold on. oh wait i dont have a side view. i'll have to wait till the ole lady wakes up. She always moves stuff on me and then i cant find nothing. :rolleyes:

13. gashwn thread starter macrumors newbie

it might not be a crt but thats what i was told. in profiler all it says is HID(studio display)

14. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

It will be very obvious if it is a LCD or CRT. If it is heavy, bulky, and long from front to rear, then it is a CRT. If it is light, and thin from front to back it is an LCD. Post the model number listed on the monitor and we can find out very quickly.

15. gashwn thread starter macrumors newbie

Product id -28141($9213)

Release number 6.4.9

16. gashwn thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is the last link there. sorry for confusion. I couldn't find what you wanted in the system profiler. Monitors 8.6.3 is the only other info i could find on it. it doesn't matter anyway you found it. It has 2 slots on every side up towards the face and i have put a flat head sd in to pop the tabs loose (at least thats what i thought it would do) and i still couldn't get it to come off. I wouldn't think that i have to take the whole thing apart just to get face off.

17. gashwn thread starter macrumors newbie

On that pic of my display you can see that black frame with 2 screws in it well i just looked at mine and in front of the black frame, by the face, i just can make out that there are srews under it and it looks like that was all the resistance i was recieving so i have to figure out how to get to there without taking everything apart. If you happen to know how to find a manual or something on dismantling preciate info.
    Thxs for all the time spinne