CRT advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by _bnkr612, Nov 16, 2004.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    I was wondering and could not really find an answer...

My buddy is selling a transparent 17" CRT from the G4 Cube era. I was wondering if I can add it to my G5 and/or do I need an adapter for the cable? Or will it just not work?

I don't really know, but a CRT would be nice for tools, etc...

Any help?

2. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    It won't work unless you either get dirty and fix up a new cable (Something I haven't got around to yet). Analogue ADC... silly, silly, silly!
  3. Qianlong macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2004
    I wouldn't buy those apple crt's, they were breaking down really fast the last time I heard on the apple forums.

The Sony Trinitrons are very good screens, I have a E500 21" model. Formac, LaCie, Mitsubishi and Iyama also makes good CRT screens
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The clear ones were breaking bases and cables, the VGA ones had the more serious problems (that can be found everywhere.)

It's a Mitsubishi Diamontron tube in the ADC Displays, so a current Mitsubishi Diamond Pro with SuperBright should give you a more advance picture capability than the Apple Monitor (and a warranty.)

Note: The ADC CRT will only work on a ADC video card, conversion won't work -- since those don't pass through the VGA signal.
  5. morkintosh macrumors regular

Nov 25, 2003
    that may be the case, however they are still CRT which don't hold a candle to an LCD. My opinion, stick with what you have ( I assume it is not an LCD ) and save the money you would spend on your buddy's CRT toward a cinema display.
  6. supergod macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    I have one of those displays that I bought second hand working on my 1.6ghz powermac. I really love the display and always get complements on it's spiffy look (while no one seems to notice the giant bloody expensive aluminum computer!). The display works with first gen powermacs but not the new ones without an adaptor.
  7. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004

I have a 1.6 PM, so you're saying it will work? I use an LCD as my primary, I wanted the secondary monitor for tools and extras... I use a 17" MAG Lseries, through analog hook up. I would really like to use the apple transparent CRT as a secondary monitor.

Edit:Dr.Bott, VGA.