CRT contact lenses

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by annk, Feb 4, 2007.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Anyone here have any experience with this?

I tried searching the forums first, but it's completely hopeless to search for CRT on a computer forum when you're really interested in contact lenses. :rolleyes: (Edit - just found this post.)

There's no certified clinic here, but there is one near my folks in Wisconsin, and I'll be visiting there this summer. I e-mailed my latest glasses scrip off to the clinic, and asked if there's any chance I'd be a candidate for the treatment.

What I'm interested in here, is if anyone has used them, and what's it like?

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That sounds awesome.

My vision isn't 20/20, more like 20/40 or 20/50. It isn't bad enough to want to deal with the hassle and discomfort of contacts or glasses but is bad enough to make me look for alternatives. And something's not quite right with LASIK yet; there're too many horror stories.

Thanks for posting this. :)

3. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My friend uses those. He says they work great.

4. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thanks, that's encouraging to hear. :)

5. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

That sounds awesome! My vison really sucks and Contact lenses have been residing in my eyes for about 7 years now. Anyone know hoe expensive this stuff is and if its damaging over periods of time? How long does the correction last?

6. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I found one place in Wisconsin whose website mentioned between 1000 - 1500 USD for the initial exams, fittings and follow-ups, then a yearly cost that is more or less the same as regular contacts.

Apparently, the correction lasts for about one - three days, which is why you have to wear them every night. Your vision returns to whatever was normal for you in the course of 72 hours if you stop using them.

7. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Damn, thats pretty pricey! And you'll probably have to go for more tests every 2=3 years after that for check-ups and the sort. :(

8. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

These came up in one of my biology mock exams recently, though the diagram made it look like it was simply crushing the eye to a pulp :rolleyes:

It's a great concept, especially for those who shudder at the thought of laser eye surgery (like me!) BTW I don't wear glasses or contacts or anything, so I won't make a judgement about the existing alternatives.

9. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Hi annk, I have been wearing those type of lenses for about 5 years. My 2 sisters do also. We all love them. That pricing sounds about average. I've fit dozens of patients with them. If you'd like to email me I can give you more info.

10. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Well, my brother paid 4 grand for lasik, so while I agree it's a lot of money, it's definitely a more affordable option. ;)

Great, thank you - I will!

11. Dandaman macrumors 6502

the astigmatism in one of my eyes is too severe for me to use these. oh well, maybe the technology will get better some day.

daniel

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I tried to adjust a CRT with contact lenses once, but it required too many of them... and they kept peeling right back off again as soon as they dried out.

Maybe it would have worked on a smaller monitor, I dunno.

:p

13. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Heh, you need a different kind of doctor for this, not an eye doctor. :p

Well, after some good but disappointing advice from smokeyrabbit, I realised I'm not a CRT candidate, but I did stop by my optomotrist on the way to work, and the lens woman there agreed hard contacts might be a good option for me. I have an appointment on Thursday. So it looks like some good might come out of this for me.

Good luck to those of you lucky dudes who can use CRT.

14. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Why were you not a possib;e candidate for CRT lenses?

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

CRT is interesting, but whats the point? You still have to mess around with contacts just a different time of day.

16. Dandaman macrumors 6502

but you won't have to wear them throughout the day. no more dried up contacts at the end of the day

daniel

17. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

My sphere values were wrong for CRT. :(

But you don't have to WEAR GLASSES, yippee. :) I feel like I'm in a straight jacket when I wear glasses, so the bother of contacts in and out every day is nothing in comparison. Soft contacts don't work for my vision, so I thought CRT was a possibility. But now I'm optimistic about these gas permeable rigid contacts.

The point of CRT I suppose is that the therapy happens while you're unconscious, you don't have the adjustment period of day contacts. And it actually fixes your vision for a short period, whereas regular contacts just correct your vision while you wear them.

18. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

19. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

The point is more that my vision is 20/20 all the time, with the lenses in or out. Before CRT I could only focus about 20 cm in front of my nose without glasses/contacts. Now there is no time at all when my vision is less than perfect. If you are nearsighted and think about that, it's a big change in your life.

It also has the added benefit of stabilizing your prescription in my experience (ie. not neccessarily a proven fact, but that's what I've seen so far)

20. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

i just got them last year and they work pretty well. although if you forget to put them on one night, it's a hassle because then your whole routine is messed up. and on occassion if you toss and turn alot while you sleep your eyes can feel sore.

your optometrist will likely ask you to try going without the contacts for two days, which i cannot do but 50% of the patients usually can which is awesome.

if glasses are bothering you or get in the way alot like while doing intense activity, i recommend these. otherwise, theres not THAT much benefit to them. you still have to use and clean them everyday.

21. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

from wikipedia
    Orthokeratology has occasionally been associated with severe, even blinding complications [1][2]. These often occur due to failure to follow appropriate hygiene, but may also be due to relative corneal hypoxia (lack of oxygen) with prolonged or overnight contact lens wear.

22. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Ask for second advice from a third party

My mother went from 10/20 to 3/20 because she was treated by a butcher who just scraped her corroneas with a lasic, without any knowledge of the thing's limitations.

You can't (yet) grow a new corronea, hers are completely scratched, she's struggling everyday not to go blind.

What she should have done, and what each and every person seeking to alter his corronea is :

1/ Find persons that had the same symptoms and were treaded, ask them how things went
    2/ Ask the same questions 4 months later.
    3/ Seek a qualified third-party and ask for guidance.

DON'T SETTLE FOR MAYBE.

I know this course is more expensive, but it's the safest.

Cheers,

23. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

The procedure and lenses this is referring to haven't been used for like 20 years. Those old crappy lenses used to take 18 months to 2 years to acheive their effect, as opposed to days. With current reverse geometry high permeability lenses (and I know I sound like a cheerleader, but this quote is just FUD) there is no net oxygen deficit because your eyelid is closed (ie., no O2 from the air!) at night and the lens is not in during the day.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Will these heal your vision so that you wont have to wear them in the future after some time? or must you always wear these during the night?

25. MacHamster68, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

No, it is temporary. If you stop wearing the lenses regularly while you sleep your lens-free vision will return to its original state in as little as 72 hours.

means after 72 hours you are blind as a mole again

i was interested in contact lenses tried different kinds non did improve my vision as far as glasses ,so i still prefer wearing glasses and enjoy my 20/14 vision with them(i can read the bottom line ) , because the aim of contacts is 20/20 and without any eye correcting device i already have 20/25 , but i started with 20/40 vision 30 years ago as a child when i got my first glasses and i am so used to them i even put them on my nose when i go to the toilet during the night , with contact lenses i felt naked

so i'd say contact lenses only make real sense if you got some 20/60 to 20/100 or worse vision without glasses