crt iMac & ethernet

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mim, Sep 13, 2003.

1. mim
    macrumors 6502

Apr 24, 2003
    flesh, melbourne.... heart, london
    Hi Guys

I've just picked up an old G3 600 iMac to use as a little home server. I'm having trouble establishing an ethernet connection between it and my (dell) laptop. I know that lots of people seem to have problems with the old iMac ethernet ports dying....I have 2 weeks of Apple care left on this thing, so I want to try and establish if the iMac ethernet port is the problem.

Ok, details. It's running 10.1 (just downloaded & about to update to 10.1.5). I've got a crossover cable connecting the two machines (I have used the cable before, so I'm fairly sure it's healthy). The ethernet port light on the dell keeps flashing - the connection keeps dropping. I have managed to ping the iMac from the dell only a couple of times. Checking network utility from the iMac shows the link connecting/disconnecting every few seconds. The transfer stats from the mac show:

Sent packets 2772
    Send Errors: 0
    Recv Packets: 61
    Recv Errors: 13760 (& growing)
    Collisions: 0

Does anyone know what's going on here? Is there a way I can check if it's the iMac port that's the problem? I really need another computer to check against I guess - anyone in Melbourne with a laptop? I can pay kindness with beer ;)

Cheers for any help.

<edit: spelling, ugh>
  2. macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    My iMac with a dead ethernet port doesn't ever show active. If you had a small hub you could check link lights and see on the hub what the connection is doing.

If your crossover cable is homemade, I would redo the ends and see if that helps.

Good Luck!