CRT/LCD recomendation for new computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacinTodd, Jan 12, 2004.

1. MacinTodd macrumors newbie

Jan 4, 2004
    Hey MacRumors crowd! I have been an avid Mac fan since I got my first performa back in 1994, and now I am running on a 14.1" iBook (16 VRam). I am in college, and a visual communications major, and I have saved around $5000 for a new computer (hopefully the new G5 when it comes out). I am in to big time video editing, and my g3 won't cut it for FCP3, and FCP4 won't install on a G3.

So my question is, when I get my new G5, I already have a nice 15" Sony CRT for one of my monitors, but I have been wondering what to get for my main monitor. Should I go with the Apple 20" LCD, or another CRT? Any suggestions or comments would be helpful to me. Also, I cannot find a good site reviewing monitors and such. Money is to be considered, so my price range would be under $1500 for a monitor. Thanks!
  2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    If you're a Mac fan, you have to get a Cinema Display. Given your price range of $1500, the 20" Cinema Display will be perfect. Been using mine for the the past 8 months, and I'm still having trouble describing how much better it is compare to my Sony 18" LCD.

Add the 20" Cinema Display to a G5 Dual 1.8G and a GB of RAM and you're all set (RAM from other vendor like Crucial instead of direct from Apple). That Sony 15" CRT will work nicely as a secondary monitor when running dual mode.
  3. MacinTodd thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 4, 2004
    yeah, a 20" would be nice. But my two friends have pretty much pushed my mind into thinking how cool a 23" HD display would be from Apple. Is it really worth it, though?