CRT Monitor dying

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macmadant, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Now before i start don't take the mick,because i'm still using a CRT monitor.
    Recently, it keeps flicking and making a ticking sound, is this because it's dying or just getting old, (it's 5 years old) and it's doing almost every 3 seconds right when i'm typing this post now so anyone know whats going on ?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

First, there is NOTHING wrong with having a CRT and most design professionals have engaged in an argument at one time or another about the color accuracy and quality on a crt over an lcd. But on that note, my old 21" NEC did that. It started off doing it every so often, then did it every time I had it on. It ended up being the picture tube. Mine was 2 years old and NEC replaced it for free. I then sold it and bought an LCD. But anyway, sounds like it's the tube thing that they replaced on mine. 5 years for a monitor is not much---then again it could be allot depending upon whether or not you use it all day everyday.
    It may just be cheaper to buy another or buy an LCD if you so desire.

What is the make model and size of your CRT?

3. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Size is a 17, and was a very cheap make called Scott, but i think they've gone out of business or changed their names, A relative of mine was taking the **** because i brought a cheap one but it's outlasted 2 of his brand name monitors.

I think it's out of warrenty now, so buying a new one would be my only option, will it eventually not display any image on the screen or just flciker and tick all the time ?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Happened with the Apple CRTs, even though Apple was using a decent CRT tube.

Apple's electronics were not as long lasting as the tube makers own monitors.

Something about a few components not being up to spec, so the insulation wears down or dust allows the charge to jump the air gap and discharge -- giving that nice snap, crackle, or pop.

So the Apple name brand, wasn't quite up to snuff compared to a Mitsubishi/NEC ugly troll monitor.

5. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

I would just get a new moniter, they are coming down in price quite a bit especially for a 17"

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Based on my limited experience, it will keep flickering for a while (could be a day, could be a year), then at some point you'll hear a nice pop and that will be the end of it. As explained, it's probably shorting somewhere internally, and eventually it will burn out wherever the short is, and it'll almost certainly cost more to get it fixed than a cheap LCD (or, heck, an even cheaper CRT on closeout). Even a 15" LCD probably has about the same useable area as your 17" CRT, and it'll be much easier on the eyes.

5 years isn't bad for a no-name CRT, though I've seen Sonys last almost a decade and some Apple monitors last at least that long.

[edit:]
    Just for reference, you can, for example, get a refurb (30 day warranty) 19" recognizeable brand CRT from MegaMacs for about $80... except the shipping is going to run you almost $50.

A much better bet would be to poke around NewEgg; you can get a passable, new ViewSonic (one of my favorite brands) 17" LCD for under $150 with about $10 shipping (it even has speakers), and there are several Acer LCDs in the same price range. Or, if you're really on a tight budget, they have a few 15" no-names with mail-in rebates for about $120 shipped.

8. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Hmm... I'm rather partial to ViewSonic myself, but Acer is a decent name (I *think*). I have no idea about the other brands--they might be good and only well-known in Europe, they might be no-names that just look good on paper.

I've bought two ViewSonic VA1912wb monitors recently (one for my dad, one for work), which is a 19" widescreen, 8ms response, 500:1 contrast, both VGA and DVI (and comes with the cables for both), plus it has some relatively cheesy built in speakers. The pixels are a hair larger than average, which can be good or bad depending on your eyes and what you're doing with it, but I've been very happy with what it looks like.

SHOULD retail for about £120 based on the US price, but Amazon UK isn't carrying it right now and I have no idea where else to look.

10. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I work for a national computer reseller and CRTs are end of product line.

11. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Only 5 years?!?! That's amazing. I've had 3 monitors and the average life span on them were about 2.5 years. So consider yourself doing pretty well.

Dump the CRT since it won't last probably more than 6 months more and if you still are in love with tubes then buy a new one to replace it. They're very cheap now even for 19" or higher.

Otherwise start looking into the LCD route. It's hard to go back to CRT ever since I upgraded.

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Environmental (power draw, lead content) and physical bulk issues aside, this has always been the biggest selling point of LCDs to me. I had a perfectly functional 19" Trinitron CRT a couple years ago, and my wife does NOT like spending money on unnecessary computer components, but when I showed her my (several year old!) LCD at work, the fact that it was so much easier on the eyes quite literally sold her. Bought a 20" ACD shortly afterward.

Think of the retinas!