CRT monitor resolutions on G5?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jrv3034, Aug 26, 2003.

1. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Well, I just read on the tech specs of the G5 that it supports analog resolutions of up to 1600 x 1200.

http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

That's IT?!?! Or am I missing something here? I was looking forward to getting a Mitsubishi DiamondPro 22" with a max resolution of 2048 x 1536... does this mean I'm stuck with only 1600 x 1200, regardless of the monitor, unless I get an Apple LCD, in which case I need the 23" Cinema Display to get up to 1920 x 1200?

Please, tell me I'm reading it wrong... I can't afford an LCD, but I wanted the option of having very high resolutions, for Photoshop and Final Cut Pro. Otherwise, what's the point of a 22" CRT if I can get a much cheaper 19" CRT that shows the same resolution?

More info, please...:confused:

2. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, nobody's responded yet... Does anybody know what the max resolution on a CRT monitor is on a G5? Maybe somebody knows where I can find out. I'm going to be buying a G5 in the next month, but the resolution question will determine what monitor I get.

Help, please? :)

3. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

that is very strange. Any of the standard graphics cards on the new G5's should be able to support 2048x1536 at a decent refresh rate (better graphics card, better refresh).

I wonder why Apple has the max advertised at 1600x1200? That seems to be limiting the use of high end analog screens.

But, a thought. Maybe it is limiting the resolution for analog LCD's? I have yet to see a analog LCD with a resolution over 1600x1200. My theory is supported by the fact that no refresh rate is stated in that- no need to when it is speaking of LCD's because LCD's have a locked 60Hz refresh unless otehrwise noted by the screen manufacturer)

4. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point. I hadn't even thought of that... I keep forgetting that there are LCDs without digital connections. Hopefully the G5s support higher resolutions on CRTs than 1600 x 1200, because otherwise it would seem like a big boo-boo.

Thanks for the [probable] clarification, G5orbust. :)

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Very strange....

Just another thought: Wouldn't the specs be grfx card hardware related? If you look at the Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition , it shows very different resolutions support... :confused:

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

When I got my Power Mac FW800 G4, the specs of the Radeon 9000 were the same. Said supported analog resolution of up to 1600x1200. I can go up to 2048x1536 on my 21" screen without a problem though. I was bummed out when I read the specs before I bought, so I did some research. Dr. Bott makes an adaptor that supposedly unlocks the resolutions. But, as I've said, my card will go to the max res. of my monitor without the adaptor. I assume the G5 will as well.

7. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

i think that is the max "recommended" for analogue lcds.
    crts are determined by the video card specs. which is the 2000+x1500+ res you listed,
    so dont worry just neglected info from apple since they only make lcds now. i think you can buy that mishi on thier site

8. nerantzis macrumors newbie

text on screen

Just received my dual G5. Two things:

1. The text on my sreen (crt) seems to be less sharp than with my 7500. any sugestions?

2. When in Target mode the G5 sounded like it was going to "launch" itself out of the house. Maybe that's why it's so heavy; to keep it on the ground. Wow. Really loud. Otherwise normal sound levels (my 7500 is as loud).

9. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

So if I get some of those Samsung 191's that say "native 1280x1024" can I run them at 1600x1200?

10. aphexist macrumors member

Negative. Unlike a tube based display (such as CRTs), LCDs have a singular resolution that will fully utilize the area.

For example, if you go below 1280x1024 on your Samsungs, it will distort the image to fill the pixel space. If you go above, it will crop the lower right, and only show 1280x1024.

11. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

Oh well- I guess I'll get 3 of the 191's and spread them out like those go-l stations with a multiport card.
    Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

12. aphexist macrumors member

I have the Matrox Parhelia running my three 191t screens. Unfortunately, the Parhelia can support only 2 digital connections digital connections (I have one digital and two analogs). ATI FireGL and nVidia Quadro4 also support 3+ displays but they are priced well above the Parhelia. However, If you have the cheese to drop on 3 $600 screens, you might not mind shelling out for an $800 video card.

13. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

COOL! One little thing- I need analog connections cause my mac is 40 feet away in a machine room. I do still have 2 open pci slots...so maybe I could just get one more video card with two analog ports?

One more question- do you think the 3 19" setup works for watching movies, or do the black edges get in the way?

14. aphexist macrumors member

I should mention that my set up is running on a PC with a Parhelia...apparently there is not a Mac version yet. I'm an expert on multi-monitor setups for Windows , but I can't claim any expertise on the Mac platform (my first mac, a G5, will ship soon). I have a question: do you experience any signal degradation with your 40 foot cables? I want to do something like this for my studio but I was avoiding it because I anticipated severe distortion/noise.

Also, multi-monitor setups do not usually support multiple hardware video overlays...which means any video (MPEG, DVD) will only be able to be displayed on the primary monitor. I would think that the bezel would be pretty distracting anyway.

15. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

[​IMG]

Thanks for the info aphexist! Do you have a website?

I bought some 50 foot heavy-duty vga cables from john at comcatusa - very cool, and they perform quite well. (The ones I bought previously had ghosting problems.) Also a vga splitter so I can use the computer upstairs, downstairs, in the machine room, at the Steinway, et c.