CRT or LCD

Discussion in 'Community' started by Royal Pineapple, Aug 10, 2002.

?

wen using a computer which screen style do you prefer?

1. LCD like on a laptop or new imac.

30 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. CRT like on an eMac or origonal iMac

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Other like on the umm...

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

which do you perfer?
    i will always go with the LCD, because wen i look at a CRT for hours at a time i ofteh get a kller headache. this doesnt happen with the lcd on my iBook.

2. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Yeah...I get those headaches too. But, this CRT is all I have.:( I really want a new desktop with a LCD monitor!

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

I would much rather perfer LCDs. They use less electricity and are convenient enough in dealing with room.

Plus, I have OS 9 running on my CRT iMac and OS X on my LCD computers. :p

4. Royal Pineapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

that is reason i itself to prefer an LCD

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

LCD all the way.

I hope to set up dual LCDs when I get a new Powermac.:D

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I like the convenience factor of LCD's...but CRT's give better color quality still...

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Not for much longer.:)

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

CRT flicker is a killer. You can't make the refresh rate high enough to compete with an LCD.

Sam's Club keeps LCDs in stock at decent prices but I've only got one so far. Maybe when I'm working full time again, I'll have another and put the CRT in the other room on the old clone machine.

9. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Anyone have any suggestions for LCD monitor?

I know the cinema displays are cool but i think it's too high of a price for me

10. awrc macrumors regular

Don't buy anything that doesn't have a digital input. I've currently got a 17" Studio Display and a 17" Samsung Syncmaster 170T hooked up (ain't the GeForce 4 Ti great?), one through ADC, the other through DVI.

However, the Samsung also has a VGA input. I've tried it, it wasn't very impressive. If I had to use a VGA connector, unless there was a severe shortage of desktop space, I'd probably go with a good CRT, since there's enough fuzziness that you lose one of the primary advantages of having an LCD display.

11. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I prefer LCD, Cause they cause less strain on you eyes and they are more ergonomic:D

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

LCD without a shadow of a doubt....now at least, early LCD's were crap, poor viewing angles, pixelated (didn't have font/graphic smoothing etc) and dull.
    But the newer LCD's look GREAT and beat CRT's anyday....all we need now is for them to come down to the price of their CRT counterparts ;)

13. Royal Pineapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

funny how only one person has voted fot the CRT, do ya think that this is due to us all being mac fans and apple only sells one computer with a CRT (eMac) all the other options are LCD.

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

that would be my vote for CRT... ;)

if I could get a decent calibration for my TiBook then I wouldn't care as much...

15. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Pixels go DEAD!

Has anyone ever stopped and thought about what the biggest issue with current LCD displays is? No. If you did, you would realize that LCD displays get stuck and dead pixels. Stuck pixels don't change color and dead pixels are, well, dead. Do you know how annoying that can be, especially if you just bought Apple's 23" HD display for $3500?! PIXELS GO DEAD, and when they do go dead, you have to replace the entire screen! Can someone say RIPOFF!

16. awrc macrumors regular

Well, not entirely - the Mac community's supposed to have more than its fair share of artistic types, and anyone who's planning to actually create art on a Mac for print, etc, is likely to want to have consistent color.

In addition to requiring calibration (hence eyelikeart's preference) CRTs have better consistency - on my Studio display, for example, there's noticable light and dark patches at the right hand side of the display (which I guess is due to how the LCD is fixed in its frame off-screen).

Also, although OS X has built-in color profiles for both my 17" Studio display and my Samsung Syncmaster 170T, colors appear quite differently on the two displays. Next to the Samsung, the Studio display has a hotter white point (I think - hotter = bluer and brighter, doesn't it?) which makes the difference very noticable, and there's nothing I can do to the brightness on either to get them looking even close.

What's oddest is that I believe the 17" Studio display uses a Samsung LCD, and thus might even be the same part as is used in the Syncmaster.

17. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I've got a great little 15" LCD - I love it. It really goes beautifully with the Cube...

18. vniow macrumors G4

I'd love to see somebody make a small DLP screen for a computer. The price would have to come down a lot though. The projectors may be cheaper than comparable LCD ones, but Hitachi's 55" DLP HDTV is $12,000 (cough, gag, choke). I personally have never seen one, but I've read that it produces blacks better than current LCDs. I wonder about the viewing angle though.
    Oh, well. Just a thought. Time to float back down to reality now. Damn!

19. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Since I don't imagine ever purchasing a desktop computer ever again, I guess it would be LCD. Although, I do like my 21 inch flatscreen CRT I have at work (as in the glass is flat in the front).

I hear that CRT's are better for people who need color accuracy. I believe that they can reproduce a larger spectrum of color, and are also able to be calibrated much better.

I was reading somewhere that someone is developing a LCD that stacks the colors on top of each other, so that each pixel is made up of on dot that can run the full gambit of colors.

20. vniow macrumors G4

Where'd you hear that at, do you have a link? There's some interesting things going on in the world of displays. I'd watch out for organic LEDs. There's been quite a bit of research going on over in that little department. Anywayz, here's a link to a company that is making 3D LCDs, don't know if they really work though. There's a few reviews on the web for these. Interesting, but incredibly expensive.

21. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

i think LCD wins because of energy use alone. I don't mind CRTs at all, but to me anything that is better for the environment takes the cake

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have the TiBook and a ViewSonic LCD (VG175) on my game system here at home... I had a demo ViewSonic LCD on my desk at work for a while, but then they wanted it back. It was a sad day when I had to ship it back and go to the CRT again (another ViewSonic).

I've also found that if you set the resolution on the crt too high, you get headaches. Set the resolution a little lower, and the headaches don't happen (1024x768 for a 17" crt, and 1280x1024 for a 21" crt). Also, by adjusting the frequency (60Hz-120Hz) you can reduce (or eliminate) screen flicker (and the headaches). ViewSonic screens seems to be flicker free (for the most part) at 60Hz.

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Pixels go DEAD!

BFD...ever hear of or see color drift on a CRT. That crap is WAY worse.

"Oh no, I've got one dead pixel out of 2,300,000...waah.":rolleyes:

If there are more than a set number of dead pixels the display is considered defective and can be returned.

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Pixels go DEAD!

When crt's go bad, it's never a pretty sight... :eek: I have seen all sorts of things happen when good crt's go bad... Everything from a color shift, to being dark on one side to very bright on the other. Even split screen effects that make the screen 100% unusable. Not pretty.

BTW, the proper term is "pixel anomaly" not dead or stuck (although people commonly use those terms). You can put "bright" or "dark" before "pixel" to better describe what is happening...

I have two pixel anomalies on my TiBook (each being one pixel) which is well below the minimum required to get a replacement on the LCD.

25. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: Re: Pixels go DEAD!

pixel anomaly...hmmm, sounds like a Star Trek term.:D

Is that the verbage used in the tech docs that Apple distributes?

I'm just a lowly, non-certified tech, so I'll stick with the jargon I'm comfortable with.:p