Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grubber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Anyone know why Crucial's Apple memory is so much more expensive than the non-Apple memory?

I'm looking to get 1GB for my PB G4 1.5, and the Apple-compatible version (CT434204) is $218 while the non-Apple (CT12864X335) is $152.

Both are DDR PC2700, 200 SO-DIMM, NON-ECC, unbuffered, 2.5CL, 128x64, 2.5V.... I can't see any difference, but one is 50% more expensive. Anyone have any ideas?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
grubber said:
Anyone know why Crucial's Apple memory is so much more expensive than the non-Apple memory?

I'm looking to get 1GB for my PB G4 1.5, and the Apple-compatible version (CT434204) is $218 while the non-Apple (CT12864X335) is $152.

Both are DDR PC2700, 200 SO-DIMM, NON-ECC, unbuffered, 2.5CL, 128x64, 2.5V.... I can't see any difference, but one is 50% more expensive. Anyone have any ideas?
Because they are different modules. You can't see the difference because the DDR PC2700, 200 SO-DIMM, NON-ECC, unbuffered, 2.5CL, 128x64, 2.5V spec is nowhere near complete.

Crucial found that when they changed the build of their generic CT12864X335 (as PC generic companies do all the time) it was then incompatible with a number of PB G4's. They had to bring out a different build CT12864X335AP specifically for the Powerbooks.

So the module they guarantee works in the PowerBook is the CT434204. The generic may work in some Powerbooks but won't in others, and Crucial won't guarantee compatibility.

BTW: That CT434204's gone up from $193 to $218 in a week (!)

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I emailed Crucial UK recently as I was comparing the 1GB module for my Powerbook with the cheaper one available for the iBook.
Here's the reply I got:

Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The reason that the powerbook module is more expensive is because we had compatability issues with our standard 1gb module and these laptops so we had to bring in a module which is made specifically and tested more robustly just for these apple laptops. We havn't had the same issue with all apple laptops so that is why our standard 1gb module is still available for the ibook 1.33 G4.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us. For a faster response please reply directly to this e-mail.

To check pricing or to place an order please follow the Crucial Product Search link on the left side of our Web site home page (http://www.crucial.com/uk) or call us on 0800 013 0330. All prices listed are only valid for one working day.

I decided to play safe and ended up paying the extra for the guaranteed PB compatible part.

grubber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Thanks for your responses guys! I googled this issue and your answers are the most informative of the ones I got. I guess I'll just watch the prices and hope they get reasonable! I'm thinking WoW is going to play MUCH better with more than 512MB of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.