Crucial.com shipping overseas

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Reuven, May 17, 2004.

1. Reuven macrumors member

Reuven

Has anyone ordered any ram from crucial.com outside of the US ?

I,m looking to get either a piece of 512 or 1Gig .

How reliable is there service to somewhere like Australia ? :D

And is delivery time really quick ?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I havn't ordered from Aus, but I have ordered from the UK from Crucial. I ordered 512MB last thrusday and it was here Saturday morning, not bad for free delivery I'd say :cool:.

3. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Reuven,

I have ordered RAM direct from Crucial on two separate instances (once for my Dell Inspiron 4100, the other for my 1.6GHz G5), with the delivery address being my place of work in North Ryde, Sydney. Both times there was no problem with the ordering process or credit card payment, and also both times the RAM showed up quite quickly...within about 5 or 6 working days. The entire delivery was able to be tracked on Crucial's web page, and then when the order was in transit, on DHL's tracking site.

The only problem I had wasn't really with Crucial, but more with DHL (the shipping company they use for Australia). They charged me a customs charge both times on top of the US$30 international courier charge, which was a bit annoying (the invoice came in a few weeks after the RAM arrived). I have bought stuff from Other World Computing before, who use FedEx, and FedEx never seems to charge extra for customs (even though the items in question were of similar value).

Check before you order...you might end up paying an extra $50 or so with unexpected customs charges.

BTW, the actual RAM from Crucial ran flawlessly in both cases. That's probably not surprising, since the RAM Dell used in my Inspiron was already Crucial, and the RAM pre-installed in my G5 from Apple was also Crucial :) It's good stuff.

4. Reuven thread starter macrumors member

Reuven

oingoboingo,

Thanks for your advise.

a. Where should I check ? Customs ? DHL ?
    b. If by some very small chance the ram is faulty how do I go about returning the ram ?

Regards,

Reuven

5. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Hmm...good question. I would probably try DHL first. Say to them you are thinking of purchasing some computer parts of a certain value in US dollars, the the US company uses DHL for shipping. They should be able to give you an answer on customs charges pretty quickly based on that information (well, you'd hope they would at least :) )

As for the issue of returning faulty RAM, I'm not sure. I would assume you would have to call Crucial to get an RMA number, and then mail the RAM back to them in the US. Not the most satisfactory way of doing things, but that's the downside of buying from overseas. I don't know if Crucial has any Australian distributors. if you are worried about problems returning faulty RAM to an overseas supplier, have you considered buying some other brand of high quality RAM locally? Have you cracked open the back of your PowerBook to see what brand Apple has used? They don't use Crucial all the time...my first G5 had Hynix RAM supplied by Apple.