Crucial CT2C8G3S160BM RAM on 2012 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kidwei, Dec 15, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Has anyone tested the crucial 16gb kit that Amazon's selling (CT2C8G3S160BM) on the new 27" iMac?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LTBJFW/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

I've got a set of this at home, and its specs seem to be identical to the other crucial upgrade kits. I plan to mix this 16gb kit with the 8gb pre-installed on my iMac, which arrives on Monday.

2. macrumors 6502

boto

Use the RAM identification tool at Crucial's website and purchase a pair of 8GB RAM modules rather than at Amazon. You will be doing yourself a favor in ensuring guaranteed compatibility while also saving a few dollars with free shipping, opposed to the $5 shipping fee from the listed product.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

May've answered my own question. This RAM is compatible, according to this chart on Crucial's support page:

http://www.crucial.com/support/memory/mac.aspx

----------

Thanks but I think this ram should be good to go. I got it when it was still available on Amazon Prime for $75.. so saved a few bucks and got it quickly while I was at it.

4. macrumors newbie

I have ordered the same can you please post if the ram has caused any problems.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Got my iMac and installed the RAM last night and haven't run into any issues yet. Spent a fair amount of time doing various things, including testing out a few games and not a hitch. Should be good to go with this RAM.

6. macrumors newbie

Cannot use this to get to 24gb

This memory does not work alongside the delivered 2x4gb hynix. I was hoping to get to 24gb but it would not boot (three beeps on the black screen). It only works when by itself. I did not test two pair (4x8gb).

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Strangely, this memory worked fine for me alongsize the 2x4gb hynix. I got a replacement iMac with a different brand (can't remember.. started with "El"), and I got the 3 beeps issue. So I guess it's YMMV when it comes to pairing with the included RAM.

8. macrumors newbie

9. macrumors regular

Crucial Part # CT3650278 - Amazon Part # CT2C8G3S160BM

The Crucial site lists the price at $115.99 for Crucial Part # CT3650278 (but you can get a coupon for a $5 discount). Amazon shows what seems to be the same spec and what some people in this thread have gotten to work as part #CT2C8G3S160BM at $89.68.

Is this the same product but with different part numbers only due to the sales channel?

Any others with experience with the Amazon memory?

10. macrumors regular

luminouslight

This is the memory I ordered on amazon. Hope it works as it saved me $30 compared to the crucial site with amazon prime.

11. macrumors newbie

TheAmericanStig

I'm looking at the same memory from amazon also. Any other options of ram that increase performance or is this ram as good as the iMac can support?

12. macrumors regular

Please let us all know how it works for you.

13. macrumors regular

luminouslight

Will do when I get it!

14. macrumors member

Same RAM

I called Crucial customer service. She said that when she looked up part number CT3650282 (the part that Crucial's tool will give you for the 27" iMac), it showed that as being part number CT2C8G3S160BM (the one listed at Amazon). Crucial does use multiple part numbers for identical parts, depending on which computer you are looking up.

15. macrumors regular

Thanks for this follow through. Great detective work!

By the time I made up my mind to buy from Amazon, the $89 price had gone away, and the price seems to float now between $105 and $115, same as the price from Crucial.

Oh, well.

On the other hand, while I have not yet loaded up my mission critical softwares, I have hardly seen a page out with just the default 8MB. So while I still want to add more, I am not hurting yet.

16. macrumors member