Crucial Memory Advisor tells me to buy more expensive RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jmsait19, Jun 5, 2005.

1. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2004
    I have a question to the knowlegable ones here...

I have bought memory from crucial before on the recommendation of those here and have been very happy. I have experienced no problems with it, it works great.

My question is about the memory advisor they use. I believe them when they say it will only recommend memory that will work. However when I use it they recommend memory that costs about $120 for a 512 stick for my PowerBook. When I do a search without specifying my system, however, I find the same spec stick for $62.

Has anyone had any experience buying memory without using the memory advisor? Will the cheaper memory actually not work with my computer? Is it worth the chance (I don't know the return policy)??

What do you guys think?
  2. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    As long as it is the right type of memory and it meets the memory specs for CL speed and bus speed then it should work. Of course, you get what you pay for so if you want to be sure your computer will be stable it is always best to go with the more expensive... but you don't absolutely have to as long as the specs match.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    If the part number is the same, don't worry about it.

As people have noted, crucial's prices can be different every time you look at it and/or depending on configuration.