crucial memory DOESN'T FIT new ibook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ibidiem, Sep 7, 2005.

1. ibidiem macrumors member

Dude, so I'm like: I am going to get an ibook! And drast me if it ain't gonna be new! (Well, my first attempt, via eBay, didn't... didn't work out so well...) And after like a month (more) of careful consideration/totally whacked out obsession, I get my ibook (12"/1.33/Combo -- which is furloughing AWESOME, btw), and, as per suggestion here and aided by the fact that the Second Most Mentioned RAM Retailer on this site didn't really jive with my last mac's (iMac/333/violet, I think, but most of the times it looks blue) ability to surf, through -- so I hitch onto CRUCIAL and get what they GYARRUNTEE me will totally synch my pretty, new, sweet smelling digital mistress -- and I get the modual --- AND IT DOESN'T FU*G*NG FIT

modual: 1G 200-PIN SODIMM 128X64 DDR PC2700

Like it's NOT rivetted in the proper spot, or something, those little bendy metal clamps don't reach far enough, to the notches on either end of the green peice of taunting 'everything at your fingertips simultanously' frrgrbgr...

Has anyone else had this problem? It MAY <space> BE that I'm just venting. I have to wait til tomorrow to call TECH SUPPORT @ crucial...

Would bending the metal clamps to fit the memory chip be... possibly the stupidest thing ever to do with the most expensive bit of plastic/silica/goodness I've ever owned...?

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Like dude, the best advice I've heard about installing ram dude, is you've gotta push it in much harder then you'd think you'd want to be pushing something into your new Mac, dude,

Before going and doing that make sure you double, heck triple check that it's the proper ram for your iBook. If you are 100% crucial shipped you the proper ram (which they most likley did) then try forcing it! make sure everything lines up in terms of knotches and just giver er.

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Crucial should talk you through the process if your worried. They should also take the return.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I just installed my Crucial memory on my iBook today. And its the same machine (12" iBook 1.33Ghz). You need to put the RAM in at a 45 degree angle, and then lay it down into the slot. That's the only confusion I could imagine on installing the RAM (if it's the right kind to begin with). Good Luck.

EDIT: Man, it has Got to be you're not putting it in at the 45 degree angle, after re-reading your post.

5. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Also, if you are that freaked out by forcing the chip in, take it to a service provider - though it'll cost you a service fee likely.

6. ibidiem thread starter macrumors member

GimmeSlack: what does your ram say, on the little silver bag (if you still have it?) -- is it the same as what I posted above? Did those clamps end up ON TOP of the memory, or just the sides?

I sort of pressed it as hard as I dared, and it's in more or less firmly, but the cpu isn't reading it... shouldn't it read the memory right off the bat?

And did you notice that the notches on the ram card are just a bit over where the clamp is to should be clamping them?

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Umm. yes.

The main thing is, when you are inserting the connector pins of the RAM into the socket at the 30 - 45 degree angle, you have to press it into the socket while it is at that angle until there is none (or very little - less than 1/32") of the gold connectors remaining showing. Then lay it down to the horizontal position. The metal clips may or may not march the cutouts on the sides of the module's board but they should click easily into place.

BUT: If you are not confident of doing this, or are prone to act on impulse to bend things and make it fit, for the love of Mac, please take it to a technician who will charge you $20 to install and test the RAM correctly.

8. ibidiem thread starter macrumors member

You guys are AWESOME

CR (if I may be so fwd) -- thank you! the problem was, I was applying pressure DOWN, not at the angle -- I had it in at the angle, but then just swiveled it flat, before it sunk in (with a satisfying ppnnk, I might add).

Now. I. Can. Do. ANYTHING.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm very glad to hear it, I looked at the bag that came with my memory and it says the exact same thing (except mine's 512mb and therefore is 64x64).
    Also good to know that Crucial hadn't screwed ya up (Good lesson in RAM wouldn't ya say ;) ).

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Crucial should include a "push really effing hard" note with the iBook RAM. I had the same problem.

11. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Most laptop RAM is a pain in the ass to install. That's so it doesn't wiggle out, though, which is a problem w/ desktop systems I move around. :)

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Really, the instructions should read:

1) Insert RAM as shown in the picure, push firmly into place.
    2) When the RAM appears to be properly seated, it is not. Push really, really hard.
    3) Do your fingers hurt? A lot? Then you're not pushing hard enough.
    4) It's still not in, is it? Try a hammer or something. But don't tell anybody we told you that.

I installed some RAM in a new PB a couple weeks ago, and I actually had to get a big flathead screwdriver to help push because I couldn't get my fingers into the little opening far enough to get the thing to properly seat.

13. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

OP: You type really cool and use cool words in your writing. Write me something else about how much improvement the RAM has had. Have it on my desk by 8.