Crucial memory price jump?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bluebomberman, Apr 14, 2005.

1. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

I'm a little ticked off. The day Tiger was announced, 512 MB RAM cost about $53 for the iMac G5. But they won't ship to my business address (they only ship to billing addresses, but of course I can't receive the package because I'm at work), so I got cold feet.

Today, I check and see that the price went all the way up to $61.79! Grr.

Tiger must've caused a spike in sales.

2. AppleAce macrumors regular

Just FYI, in case you didn't already know, Crucial uses dynamic pricing, so it's a good idea to clear out your cookies from there when checking, or check the price with another browser also.
    In this case, however, I'm showing that a 512 MB stick for an iMac G5 costs $61.79 also, so it wasn't the dynamic pricing that was responsible for the price increase.

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

boll..ks! It was at an all time low of £34 today its gone up to £37! grr!

4. Logik macrumors 6502a

5. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Crucial's prices can change daily. While considering buying a 1GB stick for my iBook, I watched the prices fall gradually from like $350 down to $290 over the course of a few weeks. After buying, the price went up past $300 again. Now it's down to $360 something. Just wait, and the price will go back down again eventually.

6. bluebomberman thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Dynamic pricing...wow. That's neat, albeit frustrating. There should be a Dashboard widget to check the price...

logik, I'm looking at newegg.com , but I don't see 512 MB memory for the iMac G5. I must be screwing up somewhere; where do I look?

Thanks to everybody for their help.

7. Logik macrumors 6502a

it would be any PC3200 ram

So, on the main page, click Memory on the left hand side

then select 184-pin DDR DIMM, PC3200, and 512mb

search..

i've had good luck with Corsair Value Select in my PowerBook. $44 or so for that.. + shipping.. still about $50

8. bluebomberman thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

"Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T - OEM"

Price: $48.67 + $4.33 shipping

I think this is it. Of course, Newegg has to confuse me by selling two models! There's also a "Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM" that has the same model number minus the 8T at the end. (The photo actually has 16T at the end of the model number). It costs exactly $60. The crucial website makes no mention of the 8T model...

It took some serious web searching to find out what the difference is. Apparently, the 8T model is single-sided, while the 16T is double-sided. Supposedly, the 8T model is better for overclocking. No one seems to know what happens when you mix a single-sided RAM chip with a double-sided RAM chip (despite a few people asking).

My head hurts. I'm going to hit the sack.