Crucial memory problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MoparShaha, Jul 27, 2006.

1. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

So I've been ordering Crucial RAM for all my machines for years now. I've always ordered directly from them, and it's worked out very well. A month ago, I ordered a 1 GB stick of Crucial RAM from Newegg, because it was substantially cheaper than ordering from Crucial.

It worked perfectly for a month, and now it's showing only 512 MB, half of what it's supposed to be. So, I call up Crucial, read them the part number, and they ask what machine I'm using it in. I tell them a 12" PB. The tech tells me "enough people have problems using these RAM chips in this model that we make a special version of the module just for Macs. I can ship you out a new module, but you'll have the same problem with it." Now, I don't dispute that they make a special module, because even with the same specs, the RAM I ordered from Newegg had a different serial number than the one on Crucial's website. But is it really because of some sort of incompatibility? I think that's absurd.

The tech told me to call Newegg and see if they'd accept a return, then I could order the "special" model for my PB. Again, I think that's absurd. So, at this point, I can either try that, or have Crucial replace the RAM with the same part. The tech maintains there's nothing wrong with the chip, and claims the same problem will occur again with the replacement.

Any thoughts?

2. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

are you posotive you get the exact specifications for your PB. because they most likely don't make a ''special'' type of PB ram its just it might be the exact specs

3. MoparShaha thread starter macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, it's the proper specs. Maybe the CL latency is different, but that shouldn't matter.

I'm going to ask for the replacement, and see how it goes.