Crucial memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jarinaz, Sep 26, 2005.

1. jarinaz macrumors newbie

Im getting the vibe that I should buy more ram for an iBook from a 3rd party. Is Crucial good and safe? I am just going to get the iBook with the 512 stock and buy 1 gig from crucial. Will this be ok. Is it easy to install? Does 3rd party RAM void the warranty? Please help

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You shouldn't have any problems with buying from Crucial. They supply Samsung and Micron memory, the same brands that Apple use :)

I would recommend checking the slot configuration first though - my iBook G3 only had one memory slot. However, the G4s might be different.

3. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Crucial is beyond safe. They have incredibly friendly and professional customer service.

In addition to all of this, their headquarters is only about 5 minutes from my mom's house.

If anything goes wrong, I can have a little "talk" with them in person.

4. jarinaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Does Crucial memory void the warranty?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If the Crucial memory causes your logic board to blow up (it won't), then you won't be able to claim warranty on the logic board. However, if the optical drive dies 6 months down the road, it's obviously not the memory upgrade that caused it, so you'll be able to get a warranty repair.

Basically, if the memory causes the damage, it'll void the warranty, otherwise it won't.

6. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Very well laid out, Nermal.

7. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Data Memory Systems is a great deal as well.

datamem.com

8. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

The only possible downside with them is that shipping is kind of a pain. It's free, BUT the free shipping is not guaranteed.

Naturally I chose to step up to UPS Ground for $7, which took a while (about a week and a half).

Crucial on the other hand offers guaranteed free shipping that is actually quite speedy.

9. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Just a suggestion... Use the search feature built into MacRumors. Crucial is the first choice it seems.

10. freeflydrew macrumors member

www.4AllMemory.com is good... they also have a lifetime guarantee on their memory