Crucial PC2700 1GB RAM stick doesn't work on my 1.67ghz 17" Powerbook!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Impreza, Nov 20, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Impreza

A moment ago, I popped in the Crucial PC2700 SO-DIMM stick of RAM that I bought from newegg.com (mentioned on a recent thread concerning RAM for a 15" PB) into my 17" 1.67 Powerbook (purchased this past May) and it didn't recognize it at all! When I booted the computer up, it could only see the factory Samsung 512. So I yanked out the Samsung and popped in the Crucial by itself. When it was booted up, it made these beeping sounds (most likely meaning, "hey, I don't see any RAM, so no start up for you"). Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for the 17"? Most of the reviews on newgg.com were successful installs into 12" and 15" Powerbooks, but I figured they all use PC2700, so what the hey? I guess the logic board on the 1.67ghz models are more picky about RAM. :p I need a bit of insight before eating the 15% restocking fee when I return the product or sending it off for a replacement stick. Any help is appreciated, especially if there's anyone who knows from personal experience on a 17" Powerbook, thanks!

2. macrumors newbie

I got the Kingston KTA-PB533/1G memory stick for my new 17 inch - after looking at some pages in the buying tips section. And it freezes my computer after about 20 to 30 minutes of useage. I tried to remove the old chip but it still freezes.
    Even tho the ram test (both the long one and the short one) says that all the ram is ok. So it seems like the new powerbooks are kinda picky, im gonna send my stick in for replacement tomorrow.

3. macrumors newbie

My first reply

I just purchased a new 15" Powerbook and installed 2 X 1GB DDR2 PC2-4200
    from Crucial (UK) and have had no problems at all.
    I ordered the ram over the phone to confirm that the correct product was supplied.
    I assume Crucial has supplied you with the correct product for your Powerbook?
    Otherwise hang on and someone will solve the problem for you on the site
    Regards

4. Guest

caveman_uk

Is it the exact model ram that Crucial recommends for that model? There are two models of 1GB PC2700 Sodimm and Crucial only recommends the more expensive non-generic one. It does not recommend the generic model for the 1GB (unlike the lower capacities where it does). Maybe it doesn't recommend the cheaper stick as that isn't reliable.

I have the recommended 1GB stick and it works perfectly.

5. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You can try reinstalling the RAM and making sure you have it well seated in the socket at the 30 degree angle before you pivot it down flat. You should see none or very little of the gold contacts remaining exposed.

If it still doesn't work, then you rolled the dice on generic and lost.

You then have to decide whether to exchange it to them for another non-guaranteed chip (in hopes that it is a sample defect and not a model incompatibility), or take your losses on shipping and possibly restocking fees, and buy from a dealer who guarantees compatibility of the RAM.

Sorry
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

6. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, the OP bought the discounted generic chip from NewEgg, a cut-price US online seller. Crucial will just tell him to send it back and buy the correct model from them.