Crucial RAM - any difference btw these two?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by calvados, Dec 5, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

1st time poster, long time lurker. I placed an order for the 27" iMac with i7, 1TB Fusion and 680MX. I just placed an order to upgrade the RAM. I ordered Mfg. Part No. CT2KIT102464BF160B here: http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID=25170&gclid=CL6AivDVg7QCFY-d4AodTl0AVQ
    but then I saw part # CT3650282 on crucial.com for a few $'s more:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa... Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (27-inch, Late 2012)

Crucial also has the part # I ordered from avadirect here:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT2KIT102464BF160B

for $5 less. So my question: Is there any difference at all between the two ram types from crucial (other than the small price difference)?

Should I cancel my order and get the part # CT3650282, or should I not worry about it?

Sorry if this seems hairsplitting. This site has helped me a lot. After committing this kind of dough I just want to make sure I'm making the wisest decisions on upgrades/peripherals etc.

2. macrumors 68030

forty2j

I don't see a difference, except the package might be stamped "Apple Compatible". I hadn't realized Crucial had gotten in on the whole Apple Tax.

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors regular

Same memory. I bought the cheaper one myself.

5. msg362, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

macrumors member

Are you sure this is the right RAM?

when I check your posted SODIMM onto the Crucial web site it tells me this is not compatible with the 27"iMac 3.4 GHZ ( the one i'm buying- I've ordered 16GB RAM from crucial)
    Any comments appreciated

Attached Files:

6. macrumors regular

They just want to charge more. I've used the one that says not compatible on a 2012 Mac Mini (same ram specs as iMac) and it works perfectly.

7. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Note that it's not a stocked item at avadirect... it's listed as special order which means you'll get it sometime between next week and next year.

So if you want it soon I'd go with Crucial.

8. macrumors regular

CaptMike

As long as it is specific for the computer, RAM is RAM

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for all the responses. It appears the only difference is the RAM packaging will be labelled to say it's iMac compatible or something, and so they figure they can charge $5 more.

Hmmm, you might be right Chupa Chupa. Sometimes it's better to pay a little more. But my iMac ship date is Jan 1 - Jan 7 so I would think that avadirect could get it to me within 1 month. We'll see.

10. macrumors 6502

JayJayAbels

Honestly, imo, there is a crucial difference between them...

:p

11. macrumors member

I ordered mine from Crucial last Friday ( Nov 20) still waiting for it to ship! ( 6th Dec here in Thailand, possibly 5th or something in the land of the free!!)

12. macrumors regular

I ordered from Crucial last Friday too and it arrived yesterday. But I'm in the US. Yours should have at least shipped by now.

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI, my RAM just came from avadirect. Paid $153.48 delivered (including New York City sales tax). I already have a Samsung portable DVD writer so I am good to go for the 27" in the 1st week of January! :) So it only took 2 business days.

14. macrumors regular

zemzabob

I ordered mine last night from Crucial, I wish I would have got it before the price went up to $81.95 for the 16 gig package I ordered two.

15. macrumors member

I'm in the same situation here. I was very confused since the compatibility tool on crucial.com says that the 16gb kit CT2KIT102464BF160B is not compatible with the new iMac 27".

Since I can have it on newegg.ca for 75$ plus shipping and after reading the comments here, I will go with that option.

I guess that ram is ram.

Thanks guys.

16. macrumors newbie

It's common practice for companies like Crucial to jack RAM prices up prior to a new mac launch. The average user isn't going to notice much of a difference from Apple's stock 8g vs. 32g. That's why I wait a few weeks for the dust to settle and order when it's cheaper. Also, just because Crucial claims it will 'fit" as advertised isn't necessarily true; burned once, learned my lesson ;)

My last experience with Crucial was less than stellar. I had a Visa Cash Card I wanted to use and pay the balance with a debit card. You have to do a phone order with Crucial to do this; their website isn't set up to process multiple payment methods. When their boiler room hostess read the total, I questioned her as I had gone through retailmenot's link that gave a 5% discount on a RAM purchase. She begrudgingly conceded but only if I ordered at that moment. I politely declined and pointed out how many other .com's sell RAM besides Crucial. It reminded me of the auto mechanic that tells the unsuspecting customer that they'll "never make it home in that car" :D