"Crucial" Ram question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BPK1984, May 17, 2004.

1. BPK1984 macrumors newbie

If you buy your ram from crucial, how do you install it? Is it a card, or do you have to take it somewhere to get the ram installed?

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

RAM is fairly easy to install, but usually it's slightly more difficult on a laptop. It comes on a card (usually referred to as a module), and you install it yourself (or get a friend to install it if you're not comfortable). You should go to the apple support pages and seach for "installing memory", find the model of computer you have, and check out the installation procedure. They have quicktime movies available in some cases that will walk you through the procedure.

Then you'll be able to determine if it's something you'll be comfortable doing. (It really is easy, but I was pretty hesitant the first time I installed RAM too.)

3. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Apple should have some docs on their site to help you with installing memory. Just go to their Support site and find your product and do a search.

what kind of system are you installing memory into?

4. BPK1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

A 14" ibook. I'm about to buy it and was wondering if it would be easier getting the 256 upgraded to 512 by apple or buying it from crucial and installing it myself.

Thanks

5. DGFan macrumors 6502a

For the cost of the extra 256MB from Apple you can (almost) buy 512MB from Crucial.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    get the stick yourself and install it, its pretty simple

www.apple.com/support should help you find your specific model and what steps you need to take.

shouldnt take more than 15 minutes, 30 if its your first time and SUPER DUPER careful ehhe