Crucial Ram website

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Jul 3, 2005.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    Anyone buy from Crucial Ram? I was thinking about getting a 1GB stick of ram for my Powerbook 12" when I buy it next month, but I was wondering if the how-to guides and the recommendations on the website are accurate? Also, is 1GB necessary for Tiger? I want my pb to run as smoothly as I can while I do basic stuff like e-mail, web, chatting, maybe some emulators, and music...
  2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    Although 1GB isn't necessarily needed, it is recommended. The more RAM the better with OS X, things speed up significantly when comparing a machine with 512mb and 1GB. So on this point, I'd get the 1gb, making your computer future proof and saving you some money as you'd have upgraded to 1GB at some point.

Crucial RAM is fantastic, most people on these forums would tell you to use them. You may be able to find cheaper in the US, but elsewhere crucial is one of the cheapest and best quality RAM. All-in-all their installation guide is only a leaflet they put in the ram box and that's all that's required - installation on your PowerBook isn't difficult.

Enjoy your PowerBook.
  3. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Basically you should get as much memory as you can afford. I went from 1.25 GB down to 1 GB, and could notice the slowdown :eek:

I currently have 2 GB in my G4, and am using 1.98 GB.
  4. alexeismertin macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2005
    Bristol, UK
    Yes I buy from crucial all the time - the most reliable ram I have ever used in PC & Mac worlds, go for 1Gb or more if you can. Low ram is a false economy especially with limited ram slot hardware like powerbooks/ibooks/mac minis. The prices are are low as they are probably will ever be - just do it!!
  5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Well I have the same PB, and do about the same stuff as you. I also have the GB from Crucial. I have found is that the "inactive" memory uses up alot of that xtra space, but thats about it. Usually have a good amount free, and usually dont get that close to 768 MB used. I dont think youll notice much difference between getting a 512 vs 1 Gb chip, but the 1 GB chip will last you longer. If you can afford it it, I would get it.

Attached Files:

6. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    That last statement is probably a bit misleading as OSX uses all available memory. But yes, more memory is good.
  7. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2005
    or you could save a bit

You could save a bit of money by buying RAM from OWC ( or Datamem ( - both are highly recommended by many users and these sellers test the RAM on Macs (so you know it will work).

Apart from the higher cost, the thing I don't like about Crucial is the game they play with pricing - try checking the same product on Crucial's website with different browsers (and different operating systems too, if you can) - you'll see a substantial difference in the prices!!! I tried recently from Windows and OS X (with more than one browser on each) - it kinda sucks.
  8. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    Should 768MB be good enough for a 12" PB? To get this at Apple it is $68 if I remember and $63 at Crucial. I will be doing the normal stuff. Word, iTunes, Safari, lite photo editting, etc.
  9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    How much is enough? It depends on how many programs you want to have open at once. 768 Mb is enough for 768 Mb worth of programs and data; once you open that 5th application, or that larger photo file and exceed 768, things will slow down.

If you can afford the 1 Gb SODIMM at all,, go to 1.25 Gb total rather than 768. You may not need it now, but history suggests you'll need it in the future. Since you have but one socket, going to 768 now and upgrading to 1.25 later means removing the 512 Mb that you paid for and disposing of it.
  10. GregUofMN macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2003
    Is all RAM equal???

I've searched the forums here and I cannot get an accurate answer by reading the various threads on memory upgrades. I would like to upgrade my 15" AlBook (1.25MHz) with 2 sticks of 1GB RAM (from 512MB total). My laptop is running real slow expecially with some of my bigger programs running all at one time.

I've read threads that say "only go with Crucial" and others that say avoid Crucial like the plague. I would like to upgrade my RAM within the next couple of hours because it's that unbearable. Therefore, I don't really want to wait for shipping via an online site. I would also like to buy the enexpensive stuff, but I don't want to comprimise quality at all--to me, it's just not worth it... regardless of my time crunch.

Buying RAM through the local Apple store is just not in my budget. I live in Minneapolis and I just checked their website and it seems pretty rreasonable. How good are brands like ACP, VIKING INTERWORKS, CENTON, KINGSTON? Also, do I really need to back up my entire harddrive before installing?

11. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    For my current Dell XPS T450, I bought 2 RAM sticks from Crucial (128MB and 256MB) and even a 16MB stick for a NEC Superscript printer I used to own. All from Crucial, all no problems whatsoever.
  12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Crucial's Mac RAM is no better (and no worse) than RAM from the other top-flight online Mac sellers.

It's useless to say that "Samsung is good" or "Viking is good" because they make so many differrent designs of RAM modules. Only a couple are right for your machine.

The trick is to get the CORRECT RAM for your machine, which relies on the seller knowing about Macs. So choose a vendor that tests and guarantees their RAM in your particular model Macintosh. (Hint - this will not be your local Big Box, electronic discounter or PC-only shop)
    You can get overnight delivery, a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

I like Data Memory Systems ( Others like OWC, RAMJet or Crucial.