Crucial vs. G.Skill vs. OWC vs. DMS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sweetiewolfie, Feb 8, 2007.

1. sweetiewolfie macrumors newbie

If you were me and had a Macbook (1.83 GHz Core Duo) and wanted to upgrade the memory to 2GB which brand would you go for?

I've read so many posts about all these brands (Crucial, G.Skill, OWC, and DMS) and I am now throughly confused. I was inclined to buy the G.Skill from Newegg because it would be cheap, but would this be a bad move if something goes wrong? Am I better off paying more at the other places in order to guarantee that the RAM works and have some kind of fall back plan if it doesn't?

I am in no way tech savvy so I really don't know what to do.

Help?

(If the answer to my question has already been answered and this is a redundant post please feel free to tell me and direct me to the answer)

2. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I've been looking for ram also. Alot of people on here recommend OWC. Crucial does some pricing scheme that depends on your cookies, from what I've read. Also, OWC is cheaper (for the ram I am looking at).

Also, I think the black macbook's ram is more expensive than the white's even though there is no difference between them.

3. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Well the G.Skill has lifetime warranty...but I've never owned all 4.

There will always be bad RAM which can make a certain brand seem 'bad'.

I'd just read the reviews on Newegg and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Though I've only had G.Skill RAM for about 1.25 months, it's served me well. You'll get mixed results recommending the other brands.

4. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I've purchased several things from OWC. A 512MB RAM unit and then a 1GB unit for my MBP as well as an external firewire drive. I've had nothing but good experience with their products and the RAM has an advanced exchange lifetime warranty. I'd recommend them.

Oh and my girlfriend also got 2x512mb RAM for her Macbook and it's been running perfectly.

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I would say OWC 1st and DMS 2nd.
    Do you really need a 3rd option.

6. himansk macrumors regular

i have owned 2 gskill 1gb ram. the first i bought in june when i had newly purchased the macbook pro, then i bought another one last month. the first one is still running well, never had any problems. the second one was DOA but that happens with any brand. got a replacement next week and it has been flawless. so i would say its upto you to decide, i bought from newegg and i dont have any regrets.

7. edub23o3 macrumors newbie

I recently went through the same dilemma. I upgraded my macbook (2.0 CD) with 2GB of G.Skill RAM. It works great, and difference from the stock 512MB is amazing. Hope that helps.

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Crucial has just been awesome in my experience, as has G.Skill. Have had at least 10-15 gb in total sticks combined, all of them worked flawlessly.

9. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

The G.Skill RAM is on sale. $79 shipped per 1GB stick.

10. sweetiewolfie thread starter macrumors newbie

G.Skill is getting even more tempting...but then people seem to really go for the OWC and that's only $50 or so more. Thanks for the advice though. I suppose I have to make my own choice :p

11. knockknock macrumors member

knockknock

Love Crucial never had a problem with them. Running their ram for more than 3 years on an imac g4 and ibook no problems at all after updates.
    OWC I bought ram for my ibook SE(466mhz G3) back in '98 and had to send it back twice because everytime Apple made a big update the ram would stop working. Yeah they exchanged everytime but I had to loose like 2weeks until Igot the new module plus I had to pay for the shipping.
    For my 2.0G5 bought 2 gigs ram from newegg(Patriot-manufacturer said it was for macs). it still works fine after upgrades.

12. Yoursh macrumors 6502

I just upgraded my 1.83 Core Duo Macbook last week with the 2 Gigs of G. Skill ram and have had no problems so far. Definately boots faster and apps load quicker. I don't use anything currently that pushes it to hard, but I was regularly tapping out the original 512.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Here's an experiment:
    Call each of the companies and see how long it takes to get a Mac-knowledgeable person on the line.

You'll need a stopwatch that records in 1/10th of seconds for DMS.

I check with you next year and see if you have gotten someone Mac-knowledgeable from NewEgg on the line. When you do, ask them if they (NewEgg) guarantee the G.Skill for use in Macintoshes, and whether they will take a return for refund with no restocking charge, and pay shipping both ways, if it doesn't work. I'll wait...

Crucial and OWC are usually good on support too. That's why these three (Crucial,, OWC and Data Memory Systems) are the most-recommended here -- you get the right RAM guaranteed, and you get good service.

14. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Who cares?

Newegg has been the best online retailer of anyone I've ever used, and I've used them for thousands of dollars and many, many years. They are second to none when it comes to price, shipping, and customer service. I've contacted them numerous times after I accidentally bought the wrong hard drive or other part, or the price went down a good chunk a week or so after I bought it, and they've ALWAYS had great return policies and have even reimbursed money on items whose prices have gone down. You can knock on Newegg, but for computers and related hardware, go check Hardforum, Tom's Hardware, Anandtech, Slashdot, you name it; Newegg is #1.

Man, I just sounded like a salesman :)

15. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

I have 2GB of G.Skill RAM from Newegg in my Blackbook. Works great, easy to install, no problems. I paid something like $105 per 1GB six months ago; $70 is a steal.

I just ordered an external HD enclosure from Newegg that would not work at all. I sent customer service an email; they apologized for the defective item (though this was almost certainly not their fault), waived the restocking fee and credited my account for shipping both ways. I was frustrated by the DOA product, but completely satisfied with Newegg's customer service.

16. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

I've had trouble with Crucial ram.

A 1gb DDR2 SO-Dimm went bad and produced hundreds of thousands of errors over ~20minutes of memtest. It even failed the POST memory check.

But I got that replaced in ~2 weeks, and the new stick seems to be working, so I *guess* crucial is ok. I've also had good success with OWC ram.
    Haven't ever used G.Skill or DMS.

17. nightsky macrumors member

have crucial for 5yrs straight. lol

But I don't like paying taxes for products online, so I am tempted to go w/2gb from OWC for my new mac G. Have a basket waiting at OWC & Crucial. lol Wonder if the ram is manufacture by the same companies and then other companies just put there name on it. Oo well I am too happy to care right now.

18. hamholio macrumors member

I have been using the G.Skill ram in my macbook since last july and haven't had any problems!

DMS can bite me.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Um....yeah, except that they scam people.

If buying from Crucial, delete your cookies beforehand.

Personally, I'd never buy stuff from a company like that.

20. BestBuyBoy macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

You have to be joking............

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

A Mac user should. Newegg is downright terrible when you tell them the hardware you are purchasing is for a Mac. I use almost exclusively use them for PC parts and general stuff (USB drives, hub, mice, etc). But when it comes to something as important to a computer as RAM, they are pretty awful. This comes from first hand experience.

22. sweetiewolfie thread starter macrumors newbie

well in case anyone cares, i ended up going with the g.skill from newegg: 2 x 1GB. So far (after 3 days) everything works wonderfully and i cannot believe i had been living with only 512MB. it's SO much faster and i feel like i am really getting more out of my macbook. thanks for everyone's advice. we'll see how this stuff does over a long period of time.

23. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Good move, I'd say.

Also, if anything does go wrong, don't forget you have a lifetime warranty - so you can have it replaced for free.

24. St. Germain macrumors 6502

When it comes to memory, I could care less if the person working at Newegg knows a thing about Macs. I'm not an idiot. I know how to put memory into a laptop. Apple themselves provide more than enough instructions for anyone who doesn't know how to do it. As long as they have good service, and like Veritas&Equitas mentioned, Newegg is by far the best online retailer I also have ever used. Their service over the years has been excellent and like him, I've purchased thousands of dollars worth of equipment from them. If you want to pay extra $ from a retailer that claims to be "Mac friendly", go for it. I prefer to go by reviews from my colleagues and friends.

As for the original question, I have personally upgraded 6 different Macs at home and work that I have bought and used G.Skill memory in. I have not had a single problem with any of them. Of my three colleagues also using G.Skill in their Macs, none have any complaints. To each his own I guess.

The sale they have going on now for $70 per DIMM is killer.

25. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

What voltage does your Mac require? How many chips should the RAM contain? There are just a few things that can keep a perfectly good stick of RAM from working in your Mac. Newegg probably doesn't know these answers and if you don't either, then you could have a problem.