Crucial vs. OWC memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ShermDog, Nov 29, 2004.

1. ShermDog macrumors regular

Does anyone have any advice on purchasing RAM from either Crucial vs. OWC? They go for about the same price, same warranty, etc. But, is one clearly better than the other?

I'd like to buy two 512MB modules to upgrade my Dual 2.0.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I have bought Crucial three times and never had any trouble. (The reason is that my local PC store sell Crucial...)

Never bougth RAM from OWC, but I have bought a CPU upgrade (powerlogix) and a Videocard from them. I had to return the CPU to them later and they had great customer support !!

Both are known to have high quality RAM, but I don't know how the crucial service is.

3. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I'd go with Crucial - I've had a very poor track record with OWC when it comes to RAM. The OWC RAM I've purchased and used for two different systems (a Beige G3 desktop and my current B/W) has needed to be replaced no less than five times. Either they sent me the incorrect RAM, the RAM they sent was faulty (which happened on two occasions, both were acknowledged by OWC as being faulty batches), or the RAM started to go bad within a year. I just received a brand new stick via RMA from OWC that still doesn't work in my B/W (instant lockup on boot) after spending a half-hour on the phone with OWC customer service. However, the folks at OWC tech support/customer service are really nice, and certainly they were helpful and friendly.

Hope this helps.

4. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

RAM Suggestions

I'd go with Crucial too. I just ordered two 512K sticks for my Dual 2.0 and they worked flawlessly. If you look at the system summary in respect to the memory, the Crucial memory is logged in the same as the stock Samsung, which means that the G5 looks at both brands as the same.