Crumpler backpacks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bousozoku, Jul 24, 2004.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've seen a few of you post about Crumpler bags. While I was looking through the camera store yesterday, I noticed a Crumpler backpack and was wondering if anyone here has been using one for photo equipment.

I'm also wondering about being able to carry a laptop computer and camera equipment in one bag.

Any ideas?

2. Nspace macrumors regular

Whoa I was going to ask the same question. I know they do have camera and laptop bags in one but they are quite expensive.

So I was also wondering if some camera equipment would fit in one of the laptop backpacks. For me it would just be a mini tripod, canon ps g3, and probably an additional lens.

I don't mean to hi jack the thread, easier than asking the same question in another :D

3. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

My (cheaper) solution.

I looked at all the laptop bags and realized they were all pretty expensive, and that a lot of them made it obvious as to what I was carrying inside my bag (beware of theives).

What I did instead is purchase a Marware Sharkskin sleeve for my laptop and a North Face Back Pack I found on sale (at the North Face outlet) for $28 Dollars. I put my camera and laptop in the backpack. It looks just like a bookbag, or a daypack. I put all my accessories in the side pockets.

With the Marware Sleeve/case for my laptop, I can put my laptop in any bag and know that it is being protected. For extra safety I took some some foamy pacakaging board I had, and cut it to fit the bottom of my bag incase I accidently drop it a bit violently.

My suggestion: get a protecting sleeve/case for your laptop and find a good deal on a spacious backpack that looks cool and is not too flimsy (has a sturdy back).

Good luck!

4. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I'm all for concentrating like questions into one thread. Hopefully, we'll get good responses that way.

I'm not sure what is expensive to you, but if you consider the price of a computer and a camera, $150 doesn't seem quite so much. Crack or dent the computer or camera and suddenly, good padding will have seemed a cheap solution.

I was also looking at the Lowe Pro backpacks too but no one has ever mentioned them here.

5. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Has anybody bought, used, or even seen the Crumpler "hymn" satchels? They are supposedly hard case slip covers that zip up. I'm trying to find something decent and lightweight for a 17" PB that will fit inside my existing backpack.

6. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Sportfolio

May I suggest a Marware Sportfolio Case. They zip up but are soft. I think soft is often better as the thickness in the padding absorbs shock. Something to think about.

http://marware.com/SFSleeves.html

7. RisingPhoenix macrumors newbie

Crumpler School Hymn

Search the forums for Crumpler School Hymn, there was a user review of the 15" model in the last few weeks. I haven't yet figured out how to link you to it, but this is the thread title:

"Crumpler School Hymn 15" Review (with Pics-LOTS 56k beware)"
    Great pics and informative.

I wish I could see one in person, the Crumpler backpacks appear to be quite nice. Apple seems to think so too: Apple actually sells them from the Apple Store online in some countries in Europe. ("Visit other Apple sites around the world" at the bottom of their site and explore a little.)

8. yinyang macrumors regular

i've mentioned it in another similar post, but when my school hymn arrives, i'll do a comparison of that and my booq powersleeve. crumpler seem to have some supply issues, even in australia - ordered early july, eta early august :(

someone called 'aswitcher' has one though, and he is very pleased with it!

9. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Yinyang... you have a BooqBag PowerSleeve? Which one? How do you like it? Is it hard sided or just softsided? Sorry about the questions, but I've got a 17" PB coming. I walk a lot and my stuff tends to get pretty banged up so I'm eager to get some protection for it in the next few days. Thanks!

10. joelypolly macrumors 6502

I got a Crumper Very busy man. It fits my laptop find and has room for a digital cam but to find a tripod will really depend on the size of the tripod. They are quite good bags lots of pockets and zips and good protection for any laptop.

11. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

The backpacks seem really good in person but I'm still concerned about paying $150 and then, having to buy another, competing model because it didn't survive me.

12. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Thanks for the tip off RisingPhoenix... Ryan1524's review was excellent.

13. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Well .....this was a headache to me...............i was thinking very hard on what bag to get......i definitely didn't want a messenger bag.......they just scream "LAPTOP INSIDE"......and they're unconfortable....so i wanted the backpack.....they look better, more versatile, and they definitely do not scream "HEY I'M CARRYING A $2,000 LAPTOP IN HERE!!"

but which one to get was harder!......i wanted something good!.....but not that expensive..............c'mon man...i just paid 2,000 bucks for a laptop, plus some extra accessories (like external mouse, etc. etc.) and i don't really have $150 to paid for a backpack...........

.....so then it all happened.............a light in my path iluminated me..... :eek: while at Marshall's buying some t-shirts and stuff there she was!........looking straight at me!...this blue beauty.......a gorgeous Electric Blue backpack by "High Sierra".. guys this thing if the s**t!....it has 10 compartments..... (two ways of accessing the laptop.......bottle holder, CD-MD-iPod pocket with headphone's access.....it's water proof, but it also has a water proof cape to cover the bag..........this thing is incredible!.......

high sierra rules!

14. yinyang macrumors regular

here's some comments on another 'bag' thread...! :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=79073&page=2&pp=25

not sure what you mean by hard or soft sided - it is padded. and well padded at that!!

and i think i may have done the booq a dis-service by saying the zip pockets could hold a few mags, cds, etc - i think it could easily handle more, but then it would bulge a lot more. may or may not matter to you...!?

15. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Hi YinYang... thanks for the reply. What I mean by hard sided is that some bags in addition to padding have a rigid (say corrugated plastic or plastic sheet) insert in the sides and/or edges, or the case covers are "molded" to be rigid. So, if the PowerSleeve is able to be folded in the middle easily when the PB isn't in it, I guess it would not be hard sided.

I'd prefer to get a case that has some hardsided protection to help avoid dents. Padding absorbs overall shock but does not as easily prevent "point" damage (dents into the aluminum). Of course, if you step on the thing, I guess a plastic sheet doesn't help much either! :)

16. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

What do the photographers use? I suppose they don't like the casual look of a backpack. ;)

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yep love mine.

Fits very snuggly into my STM Large Loop backpack.

Get the crumpler and then test it out in backpacks.

18. yinyang macrumors regular

you can fold the powersleeve, but i suppose you could put in a sheet of rubber/plastic/??? in the rear zipper compartment, which covers the entire case/pBook if you really want extra protection!!

but wouldn't you be putting the sleeve in a backpack - how likely are you going to encounter the kind of scenarios you mention?

19. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Can't say anything about bags for photo equipment, but my Crumpler Sheep Scarer for my iBook was worth every penny.

20. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

You'd be right on that account. Most times, it would just sit in my backpack. When I have meetings or conferences however, I usually leave the backpack behind, so the sleeve would be "on it's own" so to speak, and I would value the extra protection if it had some hard-sided protection.

Thanks for confirming!