Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlmcclellan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm going to buy Crusader Kings and noticed it was available on the Mac as well as the PC, so I was curious who here has had any experience with the game (preferably on both) and if there is any reason I should pick up the PC version over the Mac version?

Thanks a bunch! :D

freyr1960

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Avoid Crudsader Kings II

Hey guys,

I'm going to buy Crusader Kings and noticed it was available on the Mac as well as the PC, so I was curious who here has had any experience with the game (preferably on both) and if there is any reason I should pick up the PC version over the Mac version?

Steam had a sale on it this past weekend and I made the mistake of buying it. Be sure to read the forum posts on Steam before purchasing games. Mea Culpa. The Mac version is a real stinker. Integrated graphics are not supported in the Mac version, but they are for the PC. Even with a Mac Pro and a Radeon 5770 the game is unplayable. The thing slows to a crawl and crashes frequently. Pity, because the PC version seems to be doing quite well. If publishers are incapable of porting games, I wish they would just stop trying. As it is, people waste good $$ on software that doesn't appear to have been tested at all.

laetusviator

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
Hey guys,

Are you talking about the original Crusader Kings, or Crusader Kings 2?

If you buy CK2 on Steam you get both the PC and Mac versions. So you could try both yourself and see what you prefer. :)

(Of course, you might not want to buy it on Steam!)

Last edited:

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
has the publisher fixed up the mac version of the game? or is is still terrible? I kind of want to play this!

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
has the publisher fixed up the mac version of the game? or is is still terrible? I kind of want to play this!
I had huge issues before, but it seems that it works ok now, I haven't played it much as my requests for help from the developer didn't get answered at all.

My issues was that starting the game op the menus took like two minutes to spawn and all 3d models in game was flickering, those is at least for me now fixed.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I had huge issues before, but it seems that it works ok now, I haven't played it much as my requests for help from the developer didn't get answered at all.

My issues was that starting the game op the menus took like two minutes to spawn and all 3d models in game was flickering, those is at least for me now fixed.

Thanks!

Now to wait for a sale...

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
It's on sale fairly often.

I have no issues with the game on my 320M, though I think most of the problems were with intel graphics. And it's fine on my desktop's 5850.

I had issues with NVidia, but as said, those seems fixed now, but I have not played it for more than maybe an hour or so.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Meh. I've been a fan of Paradox titles since their very FIRST mass-market hit Europa Universalis (1).

I never really saw the appeal of Crusader Kings. Clearly it was based on the EU game engine, but Crusader Kings just felt like... Europa Universalis minus 300 years, thrown back into the middle Middle Ages.

For those who have played both CK and EU, can someone tell me what features (other than the earlier Medieval timeline) makes CK stand out that EU (1, 2, or 3) do not offer?

Europa Universalis 4 is already planned for a MacOSX (as well as Windows) release.

P.S. -- kudos for the company Virtual Programming for being awesome and porting 95% of all Paradox titles to the Mac (and usually they port it to Mac within 1 year of Windows release).

P.P.S. -- go with the Mac native ports if they exist. Virtual Programming does a great job of the ports, so it feels like a 'native' port. In other words, it runs just as well as the Windows versions do.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
P.P.S. -- go with the Mac native ports if they exist. Virtual Programming does a great job of the ports, so it feels like a 'native' port. In other words, it runs just as well as the Windows versions do.

VP ports are problematic at best.
CK2 had huge issues at launch, Kings Bounty still has issues (look at steam or gog.com forums and see what mac users are saying).
The Witcher 2 port is also problematic on many systems.

They don't answer help requests at all in my experience.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Meh. I've been a fan of Paradox titles since their very FIRST mass-market hit Europa Universalis (1).

I never really saw the appeal of Crusader Kings. Clearly it was based on the EU game engine, but Crusader Kings just felt like... Europa Universalis minus 300 years, thrown back into the middle Middle Ages.

For those who have played both CK and EU, can someone tell me what features (other than the earlier Medieval timeline) makes CK stand out that EU (1, 2, or 3) do not offer?

While I haven't played EU, from what I've read of it, it's different kind of game. In CK, you are managing the "people" of your empire. It's more about the emergent stories that result from your family, subjects, and foreigners interacting. EU is more if a traditional civilization simulator.

I hear EU IV is supposed to incorporate some of CK2's personal elements, which might be interesting -- your ruler will have stats that will impact things. But you aren't playing as him as you do in CK.

CK2 had huge issues at launch, Kings Bounty still has issues (look at steam or gog.com forums and see what mac users are saying).

I don't think King's Bounty or CK2 are VP ports.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

They don't answer help requests at all in my experience.

They probably have no good answers.

davidywise

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
New York
Hello guys I have something to ask anybody here who can give me a link of crusader kind... I want play on these game...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.