Crystal Shield/InvisibleShield/bestskins for iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by bobright, Mar 4, 2011.

1. macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

How soon do you guys think the skins for the iPad 2 will be available? When is it usually within a week of release....or do some companies sell them beforehand?

2. macrumors 603

I absolutely HATE those vinyl films as screen protectors.

Do yourself a favor and look at the dry application protectors such as those from SGP or Boxwave. IMHO the knock offs on ebay are generally good enough especially to get started with; looks like there are bunch out there already.

3. macrumors member

BSE site states shipping on March 14, 2011. Link is http://www.bestskinsever.com/ipad-2-skin

I used them on my 1st gen iPad and both iPhone 3g & 4 and I find it easier to install than the dry method (just my experience).

4. macrumors regular

tek210

Are these really clear? I hate the ones that you can easily, especially the orange peel effect. Want to find one super clear.

5. macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Wrapsol has announced its protection for iPad 2, but there's no dry back protection = deal breaker. I did the wet method for the back of my 1st gen iPad, would rather not go through that again.

I'm hoping Power Support drops in with a Crystal Front/Back offering much like it does for the iPhone 4. I'm going to contact them tomorrow and see if I can pry some info.

Conspiracy theory: it's in the works. Take a look at the conspicuous disapearance of any iPad films on their page here:http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/ipad.html

:cool:

I can vouch for BSE. No orange peel effect for back protection, didn't use them for front, so I wouldn't know about that.

6. thread starter macrumors 601

Please update thread if possible, I actually have a Power Support crystal clear on my iPhone and I love it. Would like one for the iPad 2.

7. macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

As do I. I would love one for both the back and front of iPad 2.

Will definitely let you know if I/when I hear something. :)

8. macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Just wondering how these skins are dealing with the speaker grill that's on the back of iPad2. You probably don't want to cover up the grill. Anyone knows if they BSE or Zagg are leaving the speaker area uncovered?

9. macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

+2

I use to be a huge fan of Zagg, but after having SGP and PS - I don't think I will ever go back.

10. thread starter macrumors 601

Good Question. Assume it just goes around the cutout.

11. macrumors regular

Whats that?

12. macrumors 603

troop231

13. macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Good question. Also, what about water damage in the speaker?

PS not coming until May. See the other thread. :(

14. macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

The speaker isn't going to be covered. There is no way you can dry install a back film on the iPad.

15. macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

But won't fluid/liquid fall into the speaker grill during install?

16. thread starter macrumors 601

Nah just wipe with cloth as you clear bubbles out over that area, same as iPhone 4 and the camera cutout

17. macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Pardon my being dense, but how exactly would that work? You'd be wiping on the plastic pretty much by doing that, unless the speaker grill has a special cutout? :eek:

18. macrumors 6502a

just to clarify,

the films for the front of the ipad should be the same, correct?

19. macrumors 6502a

Smileyboy

20. macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Thanks for the follow-up. I checked with SGP today and they said it will be 4-6 weeks. I wonder if they (unofficially) use the same supplier as PS???

If they weren't so darn expensive I would pick up an iPad 1 protector and throw it on for now. If the screen is the same size, I guess I could always put on and if it effects the front camera I could peel it off slightly and hole punch where the camera lens is. :rolleyes:

I hate the thought of not having a protection. :mad: I guess that is the downside of Apple being so secretive with their product launches - it takes some time for the aftermarket to ramp up.

21. macrumors 68000

hitekalex

That's correct - BSE just confirmed that via e-mail. They also said "they are still working on the final design of the iPad 2 skin".

22. macrumors 65816

TroyBoy30

Always power support for me. Hard to believe they are taking so long to come out

23. macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't get the first batches for any of these skins after my experience with the iPhone 4 launch.

People pre-ordered skins that were just loosely cut from these companies and turned out a lot of them were either rushed or the cuts weren't perfect.

Of course things were fine once the companies actually got the product to test -- so I don't see why people would order something that would ship the day the product comes out.

Wait a week or two -- at least that's what I'm doing.

24. macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

After I took a shot at Power Support on Twitter for taking so long to make their product available (not a hater, I like them, but disappointed), they told me it'll be a few weeks, which is a change from late April/May. :D

Still, I went ahead and ordered a BSE full body for iPad. Only cost $2 more than getting the back only, and it's always good to have a backup.

Definitely still waiting on the PS for the front. Nice to hear BSE is still tweaking the skin and that the speaker won't be covered.

25. macrumors 601

Icaras

Oh this is good news for sure. Late April/May is just ludicrous. I'm going out of country on vacation end of this month so I'm hoping a "few weeks" translate to "not more than 2 weeks". :eek: