Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
So i was opening some files on the mac, most of which are stored on an external. I've been using Photoshop CS 2 on intel for a while now and i've never found it slow or a problem until this day. It was a fear of mine in purchasing an intel, and so far i've been really impressed.

Originally, i admit i was opening the files from the external (connecte via FW 400) and i thought that was why it was running so slow. So i dragged the files i need to the hd same thing, restarted same thing, zapped the vram, closed all the programs except what i need, and still it's running really, really slow.

Any ideas?

Retired
May 16, 2006
With the CS3 beta, it will run faster as it is universal...you can download it for free if you have a CS2 code...

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
yeah i know, the issue is i've been using it and i haven't had this problem before, i have cs3 beta, in this case i was just opening old files to print, i like useing cs 2 mostly because my font management program activates the appropriate fonts. I guess it's because it's unusually slow that i'm concerned.

Retired
May 16, 2006
yeah i know, the issue is i've been using it and i haven't had this problem before, i have cs3 beta, in this case i was just opening old files to print, i like useing cs 2 mostly because my font management program activates the appropriate fonts. I guess it's because it's unusually slow that i'm concerned.

Try repairing permissions (in disk utility)

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA

Taking a page out of the Bill Clinton playbook... what do you define "slow" as? How large is the file? Is your Scratch Disk set up properly (e.g., preferably not on the same drive as the file)? How much RAM do you have installed?

I've found that PPC apps run about the speed of a fast G4 system on my Mac Book Pro (2.16GHz, 1GB RAM). Would the same setup you're using with CS2 bog down a fast G4 system as well?

-Aaron-

wattage

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2005
don't mean to change direction...but I am using CS2, which is rather slow, and will get the CS3 when released.
What is the best way to delete CS2 so it is completely gone??

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
slow is it takes about 45 seconds to open or save a file and it slows everything else the computer is doing down, expose etc. And it happened with a few files about 7-8, the had a few layers they were kind of large.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
ok, 45seconds? How big is this file? I would be excited if CS2 only took 45 seconds to save some of my files. This damn MacBook Pro has been killing me lately using it and studio 8. If i have more than one of them open at a time, my laptop is basically useless. I'm planning reformatting soon, but i just haven't gotten around to it yet. I had an illustrator file that took literally 10 minutes to open and 15 minutes to save. But Illustrator takes 10 minutes to open as it is.

-JE

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
slow is it takes about 45 seconds to open or save a file and it slows everything else the computer is doing down, expose etc. And it happened with a few files about 7-8, the had a few layers they were kind of large.

Open "Activity Monitor" in the utilities folder. Select "System Memory" and check the numbers after "Page ins/Page outs". Open a "slow" document and check the numbers again. If these numbers go up by a few thousand when you open a document, you might consider buying more RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.