CS: Source on macbook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by aholden12592, Oct 19, 2006.

1. aholden12592 macrumors regular

2.0 ghz macbook - 1GB RAM

I know some people have asked this but no one has responded. Will it run on my macbook? counter strike: source

2. iProd macrumors regular

iProd

It runs perfectly for me on mine :) 1.83ghz with 512mb of RAM. The way I am running it at the moment is with Crossover, which seems to be running it nice. The only problem is that it has to be at native res, and for me, with 512 mb of RAM, it's kinda a killer, but it still runs VERY playable with stuff on medium settings, and no AA or AF. And especially no HDR, lol. It might run a wee bit better in Boot Camp, since with the intel drivers you can automatically allocate more memory to the graphics chip. But, maybe OS X changes it dynamically?? :confused: I don't know. But for me, it runs great!

3. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

whats AA, AF, and HDR? and i used boot camp

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Anti-Aliasing, Anistrophic Filtering, High-Definition Rendering.

5. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Ahem. HDR = High Dynamic Range lighting. aholden12592, that Wikipedia article has some comparison screenshots showing what some games look like without HDR. I wouldn't say Source games would look like crap without any of those three things, but they certainly make it smooth and shiny.

7. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

HDR is actually high dynamic range [lighting]
    EDIT: apfhex beat me to it

8. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

That's funny, on mine it doesn't even seem to work. I hear the sound of the menu screen, but can't get any picture. Now Half Life 2 works pretty well, so I really don't get why these others won't work properly.

9. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

ok so i got cs: source off steam and stuff and i launched it and here's what happened - so i got a loading screen with two guys and then a black screen. is there supposed to be a black screen? i keep quitting because i don't knwo how long it is going to last for. help.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sounds like a GMA950 issue. It isn't the first time I've heard it happening on other computers with that integrated video chipset.

11. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

ok so i tried it again and here's what happened: so i got the black screen and i started pressing buttons. then i got into a game and it was working. but it was just me and a pistol.

12. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

it keeps running in fullscreen. is there a way to put it in a window? or change the resolution. i don't get why it works for some macbooks but not mine

13. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Yes you can press shift+command+option+R to get out of full screen and play windowed mode. Additionally, if you are still getting the black screen go to CS:source launch properties and add "-dxlevel 70" to the end of the tag to make it run in direct x 7 (should make things run smoother but will look crappy). Indoors I can get ~15-30 fps so it's playable, but outdoor areas will drop me to around 10 FPS. But if anyone throws a flashbang or smoke grenade I'm instantly dead from fps drop!

14. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks alot for the tips. it's now running and at pretty good speed. some areas are really laggy but indoors is fine. even while turning directx to 7 the graphics still rock!

15. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

holy cow!!!!! so to see how well it worked i turned the graphics and sound all the way up and played an all inside map. NO LAG AT ALL!!! the map is like ice_world or whatever. the graphics are insane - matches a top notch alienware. and this is on my macbook!

16. WillMak macrumors 6502a

can u give me some screen shots? I am running source through crossover instead of bootcamp and would like to see the difference.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Honestly, you'll play better without it. It looks pretty but it also serves to weaken your outdoor visibility.

18. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

sure - i'm only playing fy_iceworld and other iceworlds because it is all inside. i'll play some outside places too.