CS Source problems on macbook

Discussion in 'Games' started by drummerbooker14, Feb 19, 2007.

1. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

i have a CD macbook with 2 gigs of ram, and installed Win XP Pro on an 11GB partition with bootcamp. i then downloaded CS: Source form Steam, and when i tried to play, i saw a loading screen, and then it went to black. i can hear the mouse move over the buttons, and if i click one, all i see is black and some white lines. how can i fix this?

2. aholden12592 macrumors regular

yep that is EXACTLY what happened to me and this is how you fix it - in steam go into the Counterstrike source game options and then to advanced options and put in "-dxlevel70" just without the quotes but include the dash. This input puts the game on direct x 7 because macbooks can't handle 9 i guess :(

3. drummerbooker14 thread starter macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

still having the same problem. do i need to install Direct X 7 over 9?

EDIT: it worked, i had to put a space before the 70, and infront of the whole thing. (SPACE)-dxlevel 70

4. plux79 macrumors member

So, what settings are you guys running CS:S? And what FPS do you guys get? Thank you.

5. adiosk8 macrumors regular

running cs source on a macbook is not going to look pretty, you will need to run it in dx7 mode to be somewhat playable.

but if you google around you can find some how-to's on what people have done

6. drummerbooker14 thread starter macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

at default settings i am getting horrible frame rates.

7. drummerbooker14 thread starter macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

does anyone know how to set it up on the macbook to play well?

8. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

try using Casey's CFG.

It disables alot of the extra stuff in game to help FPS.

Google "Caseys cfg"

Copy & Paste into a notepad document

Save as "autoexec.cfg" ==> cstrike/cfg/autoexec.cfg

Then when you run the game it will automatically change all the options to your preferences.

Thats how it works for PC anyways.... on Bootcamp i presume its the same.

9. drummerbooker14 thread starter macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

cool

also, alot of the people on here say that custom maps work better, anyone know where i can download some good ones and which ones are the good ones?

10. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

If you want ANYTHING custom, skins, sounds, GUIs etc.... then you want to go to FPSBanana.

Such a large amount of maps that are brilliant, its really hard to choose...

You're best just trying out lots of maps to see which ones you like, they will auto-download when you join a server.

Here's a key to all the different bomb types...

cs_ [Hostage rescue maps; e.g. cs_office; cs_havana]
    de_ [Bomb defusal maps; e.g. de_dust2; de_port]
    aim_ [Small maps to test aim; e.g aim_icemap]
    fy_ [Fightyard, two opposing sides with guns fight it out to the death; e.g. fy_iceworld]
    ka_ [knife arena; knife only]
    surf_ [completely different game type, the idea is to 'surf' to the other end of the map, hard work]
    awp_ [AWP only sniper maps]
    texture_ [Very vibrant maps that are complex and full of cover. The best IMO]
    They're the main types of map. Standard maps are ALL cs_ or de_.

Also you might want to try out some mods, e.g. GunGame, Deathmatch, RPGMod....

GunGame: 20 levels, each level coincides with a gun. You have to get a kill with each gun to then progress to the next level, and next gun. Good for learning all the guns.

Deathmatch: Instant respawn, any weapon.

RPGMod: Can buy upgrades, such as more health, higher jump, regeneration etc.... good fun. (Also a WarCraft version available for WoW whores :p )

erm... thats bout it :p

EDIT:
    It depends what you mean by 'better'... alot can give better FPS, but thats because they lack detail and are smaller. The standard maps are the most played and so there are plenty of places to play them. When you are searching for a server, make you sure you go for a v. low latency one.