CS2 and a powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by themacman, Jan 24, 2006.

1. themacman macrumors 6502

okay so i just got CS2 and im going to be dong a lot of Indesign and photoshop along with learning ilustrator and golive. I have 512mb of ram and i was wondering would it be worth it to upgrade to a gig.thanks

2. Studawg7 macrumors regular

probably wouldnt hurt. but i do fine with Illustrator CS2 on my ibook G4 1GHz with 768MB. However, I dont do much on it but it works when I need it to.

3. eyeon macrumors regular

I would definitely reccommend upgrading your RAM. I ordered my Powerbook with 512MB and installed CS2, and then upgraded to 1.5GB and saw a significant performance increase. It is useable with 512, but you are going to be much more efficient and productive with more. I say order a stick from Crucial.com (a trusted RAM manufacturer), and you will be surprised at how much faster your machine will run these apps.

4. themacman thread starter macrumors 6502

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i used the CS2 suite on my 1.25GHz PB with 1.5GB RAM. i'd strongly recommend upgrading your RAM.

trouble installing RAM? nah. just check out the RAM installation guide on Apple's KnowlegeBase. it's pretty easy to do.

6. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

Yup. You'll need 1-1.5Gbs of RAM. If you have more then 6 pictures, etc. open at once, I'd go 1.5-2Gbs of RAM. And it's a cinch to install. :cool:

7. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Adding more RAM ALWAYS improves performance, regardless of the programs involved.

8. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I use CS2 on my 1.5Ghz Powerbook with 1.25GB of ram plugged into an external monitor and it runs fine.

9. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I'm not sure if I would go that far. If you are only surfing the web or doing other non intensive applications that don't use much memory the performance increase probably will be slight. I do agree that a minimum of 1gb for photoshop though. That program eats RAM for breakfast.