CS2 and Intel iMacs, experiences with CS2 Premium or Standard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coop, Mar 2, 2006.

1. coop macrumors member

Mar 2, 2006
    Hi, this is my first post here and I am hoping that someone can help me. I have a 20" iMac with the Intel Core Duo chip and am looking to upgrade to CS2. I have searched the forums for information on Rosetta and CS2. Most references are to Photoshop and its performance. I am in the process of comparing the costs of an upgrade from Photoshop 7, GoLive 6, etc. that we were using on a G3 to CS2 on the new Intel Macs. Speed shouldn't be an issue since our other platform was pretty old (We were waiting for the new chips before upgrading our office).

Our office is not a design firm, but we do some design work on occaision for clients. I need GoLive (or if anyone has an equivalent program for GoLive, please let me know) for our website. The other person that does the majority of the design work needs InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.

I am not sure whether I should go with the Premium bundle that includes Adobe Acrobat and GoLive. I think I read that Acrobat does not work with the Intel Macs. Can anyone let me know what/ if any problems they are experiencing with the new Intel Macs and CS2? I am more concerned about whether the programs will work, crash frequently, or not do certain functions than speed. I've read the benchmarks on other posts about speed.

Thanks for the help :)
  2. i.Feature macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    I'd love to hear someones review. I'm considering an intel imac for the office here to do some mid-range design work. Now before you say no professional should work on an imac. The current system is a g4 400mhz tower running 9.1 Yes i know its rough.
  3. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Acrobat CS2 works on my imac.

All of CS2 works as it happens. But it is slower than my powermac dual g5 1.8ghz. It's very workable if you haven't used a dual G5 you'll probably be impressed with the speed. It's certianly faster than my powerbook G4 1.67

When CS3 is released sometime this year, it should be great.

Acrobat is useful BUT, if it's simple PDF's you are making you can always save any of your docs as pdf's anyway regardless if you have acrobat or not.

Even though I have go live I have never used it as I used Freeway Pro 4 (universal binary) for all my webdesign needs.

Adobe Bridge is DIRE. I hate it more than words can express. From the beatuiful, very quick launching FileBrowser in Photoshop CS, Bridge is a major step backwards. It's slow, clumbersome and resource hungry.. Adobe developement team made a turd with that program.
  4. coop thread starter macrumors member

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks for the review.

I was interested in Adobe PDF to see if there was a way we could create forms that you could fill in on the computer and then print- we had a client ask us if we could do that a while back. Also the preview panes don't allow you to take multiple PDFs to make them into one PDF I believe. I am knew to OS X (we were running OS 9 before) and have less then a month on my new Mac so it might be operator error.

Thanks for the Freeway Pro 4 recommendation. I looked up the program and it looks like it is geared to the causual user, I worry that you can't see the code if you need to change something. I don't know code, other then font changes and a few little things, but our IT person usually helps me out.

My goal is to update our Web site, have him tweak anything I can't do in the original code, and eventually be able to update designed by a pro. We are not a store, currently our Web site is viewed by future customers.