CS2 license two computers or one?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KyleC, Jun 1, 2005.

1. KyleC macrumors member

Can I install CS2 on my laptop and desktop? isnt their an activiation process? i was just unsure if it allow one or two installs.

anyone know?

2. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

No.

But you can try and enter in the same info for registration and see. I have CS2 on my PM, tempted to try it on my PB.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

This text taken from the FAQs on the Adobe site, regarding product activation.

4. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

At Adobe's web site, they said Adobe CS2 will continuously monitor licensing validity even after you successfully activate the program on one primary and one secondary computer. I don't like the software keep sending out the activation info continuously to Adobe server. I am not sure if this is true or not.

I installed Little Snitch so that I can prevent the software "phoning home." This activation matter is very annoying as I paid a good money on this software suite.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Curious why it would bother you if you paid for it?

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Yes, you can install it at home if you have it at the office.

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Furthermore, whether you realized it or not, you didn't buy the software, you bought a license to use the software. I agree with the above poster that you should not be annoyed if you paid for the software. The reason you paid that much has something to do with people who misuse the license or outright pirate the software.

8. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

yes, very interesting

9. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Because I don't want software I bought and installed on my Mac secretly sending out code. It's just my principle. Anyway, I nipped this in the bud by installing Little Snitch. By this way, if wayward Adobe program start sending out codes, I can shoot it down before it leaves my router.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Well I would encourage you to read the license agreements more closely, by installing it you agreed to allow it to "phone home". I would venture to guess that they reserve the right (in so many legal terms) to disable functionality (but doubt they would) if the copy cannot be validated.

Its just a matter of time before ALL software will require an internet connection to validate authenticity. See M$ new approach as an example, they are now validating Windows licenses when you try to download Service Packs and other auxilary software such as DirectX...

11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yep interesting. I bought my student copy for $298... no guilt or fear of Adobe's servers here! :p

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Creative Suite 1.x doesn't have activation, but CS2 does. I don't like the activation scheme either as I like to format and reinstall Mac OS X every few months and if I forget to deactivate CS2. I then have to call Adobe Customer Service and explain the situation.

I have since created a restore image, so that I avoid most of the problems of Adobe's activation scheme.

I've been told that certain versions of CS2 have a transfer license option that allows you to disable your current computer so that that you may enable another computer with the same serial key. Apparently, it's useful if you have computers in different locations but that are never used simultaneously. Adobe introduced it with Acrobat 7.

13. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I am also a type of perosn who does the clean install occasioanlly. Can you elaborate on your method of creating restore image. I would rather do that way instead of potentially messing up the activation transfer and ending up calling Adobe during the business hours (I am just too busy to go through that).

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm currently in a bit of a conundrum with this whole issue myself. My current machine (Dual 1.25 GHz G4) is acting up and I'm going to replace it with a quad core G5 - the only thing is that I'll be waiting a bit for the new machine, and I need to get work done. So I was thinking of installing CS2 on my wife's G5 iMac in the mean time, but that might cause all sorts of issues with installing it again on the G5 in a couple months....

Bleh - one of the nice things about Newtek Lightwave (which is more expensive than the Adobe Apps) is that it has a USB dongle. I can install Lightwave on as many machines as I like, but only use it on the one with the dongle....(although, I can also install the render farm software on any machines in my LAN, so I render frames on all of them).

D

15. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Well, I am not interested in reading the licensing clauses. Let's leave this matter at that as we don't see this from the same perspective. Bedies disussing these legal matters are beyond the scope of this thread anyway.

As far as the future of software is concerned, I hope your prediction is wrong (I am not being disrespectful :). I hope open source programs will flourish and some of commercial software will have a tough time competing open source software.

16. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

If they do begin to force you to connect to the internet, it will sure make my dad angry. He is an artist (sculptor, but trained in graphic design as well) who spends a good amount of time using Illustrator and Photoshop. Despite my best efforts to persuade, he refuses to hook up his iMac to the internet because he doesn't think it's safe. He would be pissed if he had to stop using pro tools for this reason.