CS3 able to run photoshop UB?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ejewels52, Sep 21, 2006.

1. ejewels52 macrumors member

The guys here at work are saying that since Xcode is so intense, that CS3 photoshop won't be completely UB, and in fact be using "suped-up" PPC code. Is this accurate? It doesn't make sense to me that with all the R&D Adobe is doing causing the wait until CS3 for UB, that it wouldn't make EVERY thing UB. Is CS3 Going to be completely UB to run on Mactels including photoshop? Comments anyone?

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

if you work for adobe, then this info might be more accurate than you think.

if you don't?

your co-workers talk crap.

3. ejewels52 thread starter macrumors member

No, we are just a design firm...but I think this isn't true anyways...it was sparked by some blog somewhere...why wouldn't adobe make the full CS3 including Photoshop all UB anyways?! And does anyone have a release date on CS3 yet?

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The whole point of CS3 (besides the obvious upgrade) is that it will be Universal. Don't get so worked up by other people's nonsense.

5. ejewels52 thread starter macrumors member

not getting worked up, just asking on macRumors if it is a rumor or not...guess no one really knows...

6. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

7. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Jobs knows how important a UB Photoshop is to the Mac market. If Adobe is having that hard of a time getting it ported over, I'm sure Steve would have lots of Apple people at Adobe helping them. It will be UB... no doubt.

On a related note... didn't they demo CS3 very briefly at some Photoshop Conference a few weeks back and say that it was successfully ported as a UB and they're adding new features now? Maybe I just dreamed that or read it on a board somewhere...

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The way you're saying it, the guys at work don't seem to know about software development. I'm not trying to be mean but it sounds that way.

Xcode is not any more intense than any other software development suite of tools.

CS3 is of course, will be a huge change. We've gone into beating that dead horse too many times. If Adobe is to have any credibility in software development, there won't be any 68000 code left in any of the products. They shouldn't have any now but it wouldn't surprise me and that would keep certain parts of CS2 running through Rosetta.

They need to work with plug-ins and make certain that important third party plug-ins are ready, as well. The applications should be in a decent state of conversion already and should both be Intel and PowerPC compliant in the end. They should also be a lot leaner--the Mac OS X applications they should have had by the time Mac OS X version 10.2 was out.

Of course, no one knows for sure anything--including Adobe. The likelihood of them trying to put together a patched system is low at this time. It would be far too error prone to be useful.