Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
NJ
I am thinking of picking up a copy of Adobe Design Standard CS3 from ebay. The one that I am buying would be the student/teacher version.

I understand that it is the same software, but there is one statement in the sellers description that I dont quite understand...

"The only difference between this and the retail version(which sells for $1199) is that you can't register the student version under a business name and use it for commercial purposes..."

I will be using it for homeschool purposes, but there is a chance that I might make a few flyers for non-profits or political flyers for some local candidates. And yes I would probably make a few dollars from it.

I am kind of new to major software licenses (other then MS Office). What and how is this enforced? I don't want to break any laws.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Adobe's Educational License Is Very Liberal & Lets You Make Money With It

No worries. Adobe's educational license includes allowing you to make money with it as well as upgrading from it to a commercial version in future. :)

Merser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
NJ
No worries. Adobe's educational license includes allowing you to make money with it as well as upgrading from it to a commercial version in future. :)

Thanks Multimedia, but what exactly does upgrading it to "commercial version" mean?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Adobe's Educational License Includes Being Able To Upgrade CS3 To Commercial CS4

Actually,

You are not entitled to upgrade your software if you have the educational edition. That is a limitation.
No - ACTUALLY, that's an Apple software limitation. Adobe lets you upgrade from educational CS3 to commercial CS4.
Thanks Multimedia, but what exactly does upgrading it to "commercial version" mean?
It means that in future when you are no longer in school you can upgrade from your educational CS3 to regular commercial CS4 without penalty. Apple won't let you do that. Adobe will.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
Educational versions are not able to be resold. Once you buy it, that's it. So if he's reselling it on eBay, that's against the licensing agreement. At least that's what my CS3 version license agreement says.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Educational Resellers Use eBay As One Of Their Websites

Educational versions are not able to be resold. Once you buy it, that's it. So if he's reselling it on eBay, that's against the licensing agreement. At least that's what my CS3 version license agreement says.
It's probably an educational reseller who uses eBay as one of their vehicles to sell with.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
FWIW, I got the Design Suite Premium for $299+ tax from my university bookstore. The Design Suite Standard was $199+ tax I believe. I could have spent the extra money and got the Design Suite Master Collection for $499+ tax, but the way I see it is I'll never use half the other programs. That's what Apple has Final Cut Studio 2 for (which are better IMO). :p

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens

If you are an educational sales place, you can sell it.

If you are a current student, you can sell it.

If you graduated within the last 6 months, you can sell it. (this one, I recall from a few years ago, maybe its changed)

After that, you are S.O.L. in terms of selling it, ever. Legally.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.