CS3 Production Studio useful if already have FCE?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by netdog, Mar 27, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I am going to buy a student license of CS3 Photoshop, and as I can get CS3 Production Studio Premium for a great price, I am wondering if it is worth it?

I cut and edit video for myself (HDV) and friends and am just learning FCE, having graduated from iMovie. I will only be on school for another few months, however, so this is my last chance to get Adobe products at a deep discount.

Will Premiere and After Effects add significantly to what I can do? I passed on FCS Student Edition as it was non-upgradeable, but this Adobe offer is tempting, and I really need some help deciding what tools to get.

2. kingkezz macrumors regular

As long as you don't plan to make any money from using the software - my understanding is that those licenses can't be used for commercial purposes.

If you can afford it I would definitely buy the production bundle. For a couple of reasons: -

1. Whilst people may disagree, Prem Pro and FCP are pretty much the same program with a different UI.

2. Adobe After Effects is practically indispensable and is far superior to Motion IMO

3. If you are going to be working - it doesn't hurt to know more than one app

4. I quite like Adobe's dvd authoring program and soundbooth isn't half bad.

Just read the product description and decide for yourself whether you'll use it. Bearing in mind the product license (correct me if I'm wrong)

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

My understanding is that whilst this can only be for home use (which it is), the UK student license does allow me to buy future upgrades at the normal upgrade price (unlike FCS's draconian NO UPGRADE policy).

4. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I have posted a few things regarding the license from Adobe. It used to be clear that you could not do any commercial work with edu software. But after some hunting on the Adobe site and looking at their education purchasing FAQs Adobe clearly says you can use edu software to do commercial work while in school and after you are out of school.

www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/faq.html

5. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

If you plan on doing any work with motion graphics, after effects is a must have.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

After Effects and Photoshop are definitely worth it. I'm probably going to be getting that suite just for those two programs.

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I'd like to see that. My understanding was that the UK license was the same as the US one - no upgrading your EDU license...

8. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I thought that until a day ago. The edu pricing faq clears this up at this link:

http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/faq.html

Of course this is the USA site. It could be different for other places.