CS3 question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by techster85, Mar 28, 2007.

1. techster85 macrumors regular

Okay, so I'm going to be buying a versioin of CS3 soon. My question is, I am still a student but I want a full out version for my work (i don't want to just have a student version and use it). Is it possible to buy the student version of CS2 from academic superstore and then just buy the upgrade? Because, it looks to me to be cheaper to do this than to just buy the full out version straight up. Does anyone know if this will work? Thanks.

2. shecky Guest

shecky

you should be aware that it is legal to use CS3 academic for commercial use (other than dreamweaver and flash)

3. techster85 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the advice! That will save a lot of money!

4. G4DP macrumors 65816

No can do.

If you buy an educational version. You can not upgrade to the full commercial version at a later date.

So can you upgrade from the educational version of CS2 to the commercial version of CS3, the answer is no.

If you purchase the CS2 package this should be made perfectly clear to you.

5. shecky Guest

shecky

wrong. it says right on adobe's site:

After graduation
    Student question
    “What happens after I graduate? If a new version comes out that I want to buy, do I have to buy the full new retail version or can I save money and just buy the retail upgrade?”

Answer
    You are able to continue to use your Education version serial number when you leave school to upgrade to future commercially priced versions if you want to, rather than having to buy the next “full” version. So you save money now while you are a student, and also after you graduate!

6. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I just phoned Adobe and they said that YES I can use CS2 or CS3 for commercial use one I graduate, and currently as well. AND they said that if I buy CS2 now that I will get a free upgrade to CS3.

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

You'll get a free upgrade to CS3?? How are they handling that?

I'm curious because my school is right now offering the CS2 suite for $149 to students, and that's a great deal in of itself, but an even better one if I could potentially be getting CS3 for $149. Seems a bit too good, tho, so I'm wondering if the person you talked to was incorrect..

8. G4DP macrumors 65816

Thats a big change in attitude.

Well about time, shame it's to late for me, good luck to you, go for it.

9. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

CS2 What To CS3 What? CS2 Does Not Equal The CS3 $999 Master Collection

CS2 What? CS3 What? I'm getting the academic Master Collection for $999 in July. There is no Master Collection CS2. So what products are you taliking about buying CS2 now and getting CS3 later? No way will you buy CS2 now and get the CS3 Master Collection later for free.
    My guess is they were not only incorrect, they are uninformed of the radical differences between the CS2 product and the complex CS3 Matrix of Chaos the Adobe + Macromedia merger has wrought. :eek:

My impression is that if you need more than one of the Premium Packages, then buying the academic Master Collection for $999 is cheaper than any ala carté mix.

10. techster85 thread starter macrumors regular

true, but, you can upgrade from studio 8 to a full out cs3 package...so unless you're going for the full out megamash huge package then I think its worth it to try to get an academic version and then upgrade from there...

11. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

What I was told was that if I have CS2 Premium (2.3) I would get the free upgrade to Design Premium CS3.

EDIT: I phoned Adobe and got my upgrade all taken care of. I told them what I bought and they said I would get Design Premium for free. They gave me a case number and had me fax my receipt from CS2 2.3 premium that I bought at my school's bookstore. It cost me $6.48 for shipping and that was all. I bought CS2 for $300 at our bookstore.