Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BetaLantern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
If I installed the adobe master suite cs5 on my black macbook would I be getting the best out of the software?

Mostly I would be using Photoshop, illustrator and After Effects (for graphic footage not video).

Any ideas or do I need a newer Mac? Any help welcome

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
That depends on your use and if you make money with CS5. The GPU in the BlackBook is quite weak (GMA 950) or not as weak (X 3100) to handle AE effectively.

What kind of photos (RAW or something else) and at what dimensions do you work with AI and AE and how many layers are involved?

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
You need to precise what kind of CPU, how much RAM etc. But I work on InDesign and do basic PS work with a Core Duo 2GB (and this is CS3).

BetaLantern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I'm using Cs3 currently. currently using after effects with vector graphics at 800x600 but want to make it much bigger to Hd size.
Often use photoshop intensively.

Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16ghz, 1 processor
1gb memory

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
So can my mac take the heat?
Will it work? Yes.

Will you be getting the same performance that you would be getting out of a newer, more powerful Mac? No.

If your going to keep the same Mac, look into getting more ram into the system. I don't know the exact specs of that Mac, but you can probably double the ram to 2 gbs. That would increase performance all around.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
You need minimum 2 GB of RAM to use that heavy suite. I would upgrade to max. (4 GB -> 3 GB usable). Anyway, there will be some bottleneck on the CPU and GPU side. Also, the HDD in that Macbook is slow.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Can't you keep using CS3? It's probably lighter and still very powerful. I can understand though that things evolve maybe quicker on the After Effects side, I don't know this one. but CS3 is running fine on my laptop similar to you (with 2GB)

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Can't you keep using CS3? It's probably lighter and still very powerful. I can understand though that things evolve maybe quicker on the After Effects side, I don't know this one. but CS3 is running fine on my laptop similar to you (with 2GB)

I've upgraded from CS3 to CS5 on my black MacBook (2.16GHz C2D w/ 2Gb RAM) and I think Illustrator CS5 feels more responsive than CS3; Photoshop seems about the same (although some of the features, like page rotate are unsupported on the graphics card).

Cheers

Jim

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Running CS5 on a 1.83ghz Core Duo MB w/2gb RAM.

Runs fine, no issues, only real issue is of course the screensize/resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.