Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
CA
What's the best (as in simple yet compatible in all browsers) way of making rounded corners? The one way I have heard of doing it is with background images. Is there an easier way of doing this?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
mms said:
What's the best (as in simple yet compatible in all browsers) way of making rounded corners? The one way I have heard of doing it is with background images. Is there an easier way of doing this?

Nope, that is not the most efficient way. There is a line of CSS code that will do it. I know that Dreamweaver 2004 highlights that feature. I'll see if I can locate it.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Yes, something like that. I know border-radius in CSS3 would do it, but that wouldn't be compatible. Since this is going to be a school website, it must be accesible and compatible with any browser on any platform. Would that be the best way to do it, then?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
mms said:
Since this is going to be a school website, it must be accesible and compatible with any browser on any platform. Would that be the best way to do it, then?

Make it as a GIF with transparency - most every browser should support that. GIFs allow you to set one "color" as completely transparent - in Photoshop you do this with the "GIF89 export" functionality.

PNGs are nicer and have 256 levels of transparency available, as well as no patent encumberances (unlike GIFs); but they won't work right in Netscape 4.x or (more importantly) any version of Internet Explorer on Windows.

grokman27

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2004
Actually, you DON'T need images!

Check out http://www.pranadigital.com for an example of rounded corners and borders created without images. This technique saves bandwidth and looks very nice. Has anyone seen this done before? I may be the first.

mcarvin

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Southern NJ
Mozilla has a browser-specific property that will take care of it, but I'm not sure the other browsers are going to support it anytime soon. As far as border-radius from CSS3 is concerned, which browsers support it? I'd have to check it against a Gecko flavor and Safari.

The Sliding Doors technique is probably the easiest non-script solution I've used, and it works quite well. Cut your background images right, and it's extremely low-bandwidth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.