Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
I will be getting my 17" merom MBP whenever it gets announced, and I will be getting it with some CTO options. i understand that the price i get from ordering identical product via walking into and Apple store and placing the order vs. buying it online are identical. i understand that ship times should be identical. i understand that either online or in-store i can use my EDU discount. so basically, there is zero difference buying it apple retail store or apple online store for a CTO - either way i wait, and either way i pay the same price. so PRE-sale there appears to be no difference whatsoever.

my question is AFTER the sale, is there any advantage to either? i have never needed to bring my apple machines into an apple store for service, so i have no experience with this; but will me saying "hey! i bought this here!" make any difference whatsoever? or anything else i should be aware of?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
shecky said:
I will be getting my 17" merom MBP whenever it gets announced, and I will be getting it with some CTO options. i understand that the price i get from ordering identical product via walking into and Apple store and placing the order vs. buying it online are identical. i understand that ship times should be identical. i understand that either online or in-store i can use my EDU discount. so basically, there is zero difference buying it apple retail store or apple online store for a CTO - either way i wait, and either way i pay the same price. so PRE-sale there appears to be no difference whatsoever.

my question is AFTER the sale, is there any advantage to either? i have never needed to bring my apple machines into an apple store for service, so i have no experience with this; but will me saying "hey! i bought this here!" make any difference whatsoever? or anything else i should be aware of?
i have never heard of CTO in store... i mean, if you place a online order in store(if possible), it should be same as placing a online order at home... aka, you skip the store... unless someone prove me wrong

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
bearbo said:
i have never heard of CTO in store... i mean, if you place a online order in store(if possible), it should be same as placing a online order at home... aka, you skip the store... unless someone prove me wrong

...yes, you can order a CTO in-store, they just ship it to you same as if you ordered it online. i am asking about the post-sale advantages/disadvantages of going to an apple store and doing it there instead of at home. has anyone gone to a store, had an issue, and pulled a "hey - i bought this here" with the manager and gotten preferential treatment, etc..

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
shecky said:
...yes, you can order a CTO in-store, they just ship it to you same as if you ordered it online. i am asking about the post-sale advantages/disadvantages of going to an apple store and doing it there instead of at home. has anyone gone to a store, had an issue, and pulled a "hey - i bought this here" with the manager and gotten preferential treatment, etc..
I would think that if you order from the Online Store, regardless of where you ship it to, that is who you have to contact to have issues resolved. Even if you had to deal with the store, that'd be another layer (local management) to deal with.

Bottom line, if you have a problem Apple should take care of you. Seems like much ado over nothing.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
shecky said:

all apple are born equal...

you don't get preferential treatment just because you did CTO in-store than online, than stock in store... or from other apple store... the ONLY time i can remotely thought they give preferential treatment is if you bought it from a retailer...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
unless they have recently changed it, Apple does not do CTO in-store. They will walk you over to a computer, help you order it through the online store, and it will be a link through that particular store's online store, but it isn't any different except that Apple gives that store credit for the sale, and you will pay online, not at the register. As far as treatment, any Apple bought at any store whether online, in-store or through a retailer, say CompUSA, Best Buy, whatever, they will give you the same warranty treatment at any Apple Genuis Bar, or if you call Applecare. Many times things are not fixed in-store and the Genuis Bar must send it to Applecare anyway. The might even tell you it's faster to call Applecare, have them send you a box to send it in and within a few days you should have it back. Apple has expanded their Genuis Bars to help more people and you can actually sign up for an appt. time before going in, which I recommend, though it's not exact and you will almost always end up waiting a bit. Try to avoid high traffic times.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
interesting.

when i was at the chestnut hill store a couple of weeks ago, i asked the salesperson a similar question and he said i can order a CTO thru the store, making it sound like they have a special terminal or something for in-store CTO ordering. apparently not.

and i understand on a pragmatic level that any apple bought anywhere gets the same treatment, but my experience has been that it seems like people treat you a bit better or are a bit more lenient/flexible if you are "their" customer as opposed to just "the company's" customer, tho as i mentioned i have not done this with Apple before, hence my question.

and this brings up another question: what is the purpose of the "shop online at (insert store name here)" option do for you? (other than give the store itself credit)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
shecky said:
and i understand on a pragmatic level that any apple bought anywhere gets the same treatment, but my experience has been that it seems like people treat you a bit better or are a bit more lenient/flexible if you are "their" customer as opposed to just "the company's" customer, tho as i mentioned i have not done this with Apple before, hence my question.

The best thing you can do to get "preferential treatment" is to treat the Genuis Bar guys as people. Be nice, don't have a 'you owe me' attitude, don't act pissed off that you are waiting/had to wait. You'll be surprised what patience and understanding can do for you.

I took my 3G 40GB iPod in when it was almost 2 years old (I had bought the additional 1 yr of Applecare for it for $59) and told the guy that my headphone jack was cutting out, and the battery life was pretty bad. He went in the back and brought out a brand new (same model and generation) one that they had in the back for replacements. It was not a repair or a refurbish. I had treated him like I would someone I knew, not just a store employee and to tell you the truth he could have recited something about Apple's publicized battery policy and told me that the jack was most likely broken by carelessness or something like that and sent me on my way, but he didn't.

shecky said:
and this brings up another question: what is the purpose of the "shop online at (insert store name here)" option do for you? (other than give the store itself credit)

honestly nothing, unless you need help figuring out which CTO options to get.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
roland.g said:
The best thing you can do to get "preferential treatment" is to treat the Genuis Bar guys as people. Be nice, don't have a 'you owe me' attitude, don't act pissed off that you are waiting/had to wait. You'll be surprised what patience and understanding can do for you.

very good point. i worked for a big-box computer retailer back in the day, and the best way to not get any help was to act like a pr*ck to the employee who is trying to help you.

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE

I completely agree.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
well, some of the biggest advantages, are getting solid advice on software, accessories and on how to work the item yuou bought.

also, you can see classes.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
mdntcallr said:
well, some of the biggest advantages, are getting solid advice on software, accessories and on how to work the item yuou bought.

also, you can see classes.

actually i have found apple stores to be very hit-or miss in the knowledge department. i do my research beforehand (i use the equipment professionally so i have to know what i am getting) so this is not really an issue for me, but i have to wonder about the first-time apple buyer sometimes. who knows what they are being told.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
shecky said:
but i have to wonder about the first-time apple buyer sometimes. who knows what they are being told.

i know what you mean i was in a store last week and some guy wanted to buy a 24" iMac with wireless mouse and keyboard and was asking if the mouse charged on a cradle. He pointed to the iPod dock next to the iMac. So the salesperson went and sold him a 24" iMac with wireless mouse and keyboard and an iPod dock.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
roland.g said:
i know what you mean i was in a store last week and some guy wanted to buy a 24" iMac with wireless mouse and keyboard and was asking if the mouse charged on a cradle. He pointed to the iPod dock next to the iMac. So the salesperson went and sold him a 24" iMac with wireless mouse and keyboard and an iPod dock.
that's so sad

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
shecky said:

Probably not. Just be nice to whoever helps you out and it shouldn't matter where you go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.