ctrl-alt-del?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by blybug, Apr 5, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

blybug

This is great! Just got a MBP last week for work after convincing IT that it was OK since the new Mac had an Intel processor! And now it runs Windows!

So I installed a fresh copy of XP using BootCamp, worked flawlessly. I called the IT guys to get me enrolled in the domain on the corporate network, now my XP starts up requiring me to ctrl-alt-del to enter my user/pass. This was fine at work, since I have a PC USB keyboard and mouse hooked up. But when I got home tonight...

The ctrl-alt-del combination from the MBP keyboard does not work. I've tried multiple other combinations with the shift and fn key...nothing. Can't get past that initial screen. Of course tomorrow I'll be back at my desk with the PC keyboard again, but meanwhile, and for the future...

How the heck do you login using ctrl-alt-del on a MBP?? :confused:

2. macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Remap your keys at work so that something will be guaranteed to work...or you could just get a PC keyboard for your house.

3. macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Is it not cntrl-command-delete?

And not delete like backspace, but like the one that is where page up and page down live.

4. macrumors newbie

there is no DEL key on the MBP (or any Mac laptop for that matter) so your choices are either using an external keyboard or remapping keys

MS has a free key remapper utility in part of the 2003 Server Resource Kit Tools which you can get here (they work fine in WinXP):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

I used the right Windows/Command/Apple key for my DEL key since it seemed like the most obvious "extra" key that I could spare

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

blybug

Thanks for the info.

So ctrl and alt are OK as-is? It's only the del that needs remapped?

6. macrumors newbie

yes, ALT is also the Option key on the mac keyboard, only DEL needs to be remapped

7. macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Awesome; thanks.

My Rule of Working With Windows: Always Be Able To Do Ctrl-Alt-Del, because chances are that you'll need it!

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

blybug

This worked great, I decided to use my F12 as DEL because it felt more like doing the real 3-finger salute having one up in the upper right corner. Perfect!

9. macrumors newbie

that's what I initially did, but since I rarely use the windows key and can get by with just one, I figured the right windows key was a better alternative

10. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What about trying ctrl-command-fn-delete? Since fn-delete operates like the delete (not backspace) key found on full keyboards...

11. macrumors newbie

nope, that doesn't work - the FN key doesn't do anything in windows

12. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Sorry. It was worth a shot, eh? Maybe send Apple some feedback at bootcamp@apple.com and ask them to get the fn key supported under XP (driver update?)

13. macrumors newbie

Try Ctrl+Shift+Esc, works for me

14. macrumors 68020

atszyman

That brings up the task manager when you are already in Windows, but does it work for login when ctrl+alt+delete is required?

15. macrumors newbie

its worth a try :D

16. macrumors 68000

Does Command actually do anything in XP, btw?

17. mpw

Having a spare keyboard would be an idea but is not really practical when travelling with your MBP, what you need is this handy travel keyboard perfect for a MBP running MS Windows.

18. macrumors 68020

atszyman

Strange, that combo works just like ctrl+alt+delete using MS's remote desktop connection software. It seems a bit odd that they wouldn't have thought of it in BootCamp. Of course I'm still stuck on a G4 PB so I have no method to test with....

19. macrumors newbie

Work around to CTRL-ALT-DEL

I too was frustrated by the missing key sequence. However, I found that the Flying Windows key is the same as the Command (Apple) key on the MBP. So, using the native XP key combinations, you can do the Command key + U to bring up the onscreen keyboard. Then, with a few mouse clicks on the on-screen version of CTRL-ALT-DEL, you can log in, and then close the on-screen keyboard.

20. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It would be nice if they got the Fn key working in Windows... since you need it for Delete, Page up/down, home/end, enter (as opposed to return -- I *think*), and maybe other things, on the Apple notebook keyboards? All of which apply in Windows just as much as in OS X....

21. macrumors newbie

Disable the ctrl-alt-del Requirement in Control Panel

Go to control panel, open User Accounts, click on the Advanced tab and uncheck the check box that says "Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete"

You need to have admin rights to do it, but that will take care of the issue.

22. reh
    macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's the Windows key.

23. macrumors newbie

Is this way WIndows on a Mac is so hard? There's not Ctrl key?

24. macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I HIGHLY recommend using a program called input remapper. It can be found here.

Great program for mac laptops running windows.

25. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This sounds like a really great find! Thank you! :)