Cubase and REASON upgraded for Mac OS X.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gocyrus, Mar 13, 2002.

1. gocyrus macrumors newbie

I have seen a lot of folks harping here about no good pro music software for Mac OS X. Well, your day has come, big time.

Steinberg has upgraded their flagship program Cubase VST to Cubase SX. It runs on Mac OS X, not on OS 9.

VST System Link is the coolest new feature. The software lets you create a network of computers (MAC or PC, or both) to run Cubase SX, like a render farm, but in real time. One machine could run VST synths, another VST samplers, another VST DSP plugins, another mixing, another record audio. With SX, you have no limits, (except your pocket book).

New features:
    New user interface
    Graphic automation of every parameter
    Musical real-time MIDI processing
    Unlimited Undo / Redo
    5.1 Surround
    Complete set of new virtual instruments
    Comprehensive range of new virtual effect processors
    Edit History

Cubase SX will be available at the end of Q2 2002 for EUR 799 (MSRP). The update from Cubase VST/32 will cost EUR 149, the update from Cubase VST Score EUR 199 and the update from Cubase VST EUR 299.

System requirements Mac:

Computer Hardware
    Required System: PowerMac G3 350 MHz, 256 MB of free RAM
    Recommended System: PowerMac G4, 512 MB RAM
    USB-port required

Operating System
    Mac OS X

Audio Hardware
    Supports ASIO 2 spec for high-end multi-channel audio cards
    Supports Mac OS X compatible audio devices

==============================================

REASON, the best software for making techno, dance music, has been upgraded to version 2. It has tons of new features, and it runs on Mac OS X. And the software is priced right.

REASON has won numerous industry awards.

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

5.1?!?

(wicked grin)

So is that AC3, THX, or something else?

I've been wanting that for some time. Will there be a Soundblaster Pro for the Mac any time soon? Can I then output to DVD through FCP/iDVD? how does 3D crossfading work?

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I was just about to come on and ask about a 5.1 surround program for OSX, thanks GoCyrus!

Hey, that wasn't anti mac! infact it was pro osx!

Ensign

4. gocyrus thread starter macrumors newbie

5.1 Surround sound is the format most movies' audio are mixed in. It is a Dolby format, not THX, which is similar, but owned by Lucas.

5.1 is basically 6 channel audio which gives you that surround sound at the theatre or at home if you spend the big bucks. Think of it like stereo, but with 4 extra audio channels.

There is a SoundBlaster Pro for Mac. It is shipping now. I think it runs under Mac OS 9, maybe X.

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    re: system link

that is the best idea i've heard of since the gigastudio.

i don't use cubase (haven't since my old atari mega st4 days...) but they do seem to be on top of the freshest idea in a while. now if only MOTU will implement the technology. and why the heck didn't i see it at namm? sensory overload i guess.

btw, i've worked on numerous 5.1 and 7.1 projects in the last year and going back to stereo is just a drag-it sounds so un-natural. not to mention its far easier to mix in 5.1...i'll be a happy camper when 5.1 is the standard and we kiss stereo goodbye.

6. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Reason

Reason is a great app!! cant wait to get my hands version 2!!!!

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

8. fragiledreams macrumors member

Re: Cubase and REASON upgraded for Mac OS X.

The new graphical interface looks great, however this thing is available in June and costs about 800 Euros..... I realy hope the they release more cheap versions of SX, to match the existing line up (VST, score, 32)

Overal it seems to be a great product, however! :)

9. think_different macrumors newbie