Cube DVD Burner Hardware, which one?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cubehead, Aug 5, 2002.

1. cubehead macrumors newbie

HI...first post...took a bit to find this, hopefully it'll be worth the time;) I need some assistance with purchasing a compatible DVD burner for my Cube. I guess external is the only way to go, which is fine. Any suggestions on brand, where to buy, how much to spend and software needed? I'd like to edit my Sony Hi8 tapes and make some DVD's of my son. Thanks in advance!!

Dean

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Panasonic

I would get the Panasonic A104 and get a case for it, because i am pretty sure thats the only drive that works with iDVD.

3. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Theoretically, you can use any FireWire-based DVD recording drive - for example, Formac's new Devideon Superdrive, or LaCie's DVD-R/RW & CD/RW drive - both priced at around £450 (@ current U.K. prices).

The only problem is that you can't use Apple's iDVD software with 3rd party drives. An easy workaround, though - just burn your disks using Titanium Toast: it does pretty much the same thing...

Another option is to wait for the new TiBooks to come out with the new slot-loading SuperDrive DVD Burner, and try to get the drive from a parts distributor. Then install the NEW drive into the computer, replacing the old one. That's what I'm waiting to do with my Cube...

;)

4. cubehead thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help...I didn't see too many replies to this one...I'm glad the TiBooks will be able to work...sounds like the trick way to go
    ;)