Cube for $50 - Should I Get It?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zflauaus, Aug 9, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

I'm browsing a website (won't name which because I don't want the offer to go away... I'm greedy...:D) and I came across a listing for a G4 Cube 500MHz for $50. It has no hard drive, not sure about cables, but has 128MB of RAM. Is it worth it to get the cube, go on eBay and get the power cables/other cables necessary? Thanks.

2. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd be interested to know about the cosmetic condition, but if you really want a Cube, they won't go any cheaper unless somebody gives one away. Still you're going to have to spend at least a couple hundred more making this Cube useful.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I've been looking at prices of the parts I need and it seems like it wouldn't be worth the hassle. New power supply, new hard drive, memory, OS. Hmm... I'm thinking I'll just pass on this.

4. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, no power supply, that's crazy. How do you know it even works? Might be busted.

5. macrumors 68040

queshy

hmm it seems pretty empty...id look around for a fuller one, or else I'd pass.

6. macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Buy a Mac Mini and put it inside there. If space doesn't matter to you, the look of the Cube is pretty sweet.

7. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yuk. Please don't buy a Cube just to butcher the thing.

Anyway, a hard drive is maybe $50, about another $150 for a power supply and more RAM. Still not a bad deal for a Cube, again assuming it's in good cosmetic shape.

8. macrumors 68000

disconap

I disagree; ram and hdd for that, if you're patient, could end up costing about $80 for serviceable (one 512 stick and a 40gb hdd is plenty). As for the cables, the only cable I know of on the cube is the power cable, which you can replace with a generic $5 computer power supply cable.

If the power supply and processor work and the heat sink isn't damaged, that's an awesome price!

EDIT: you should clarify whether or not the actual power supply, or just the power supply cable, is missing.

9. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I assumed from the description that the power supply was missing. Replacing it could cost as much as $100; hence my total of around $200 to get the Cube working. But like I said, $50 is as close to a complete giveaway as you can get, and worth it assuming the Cube is not beat up.