Cube G4 Price

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pcb, Oct 9, 2009.

1. pcb
    macrumors member

pcb

Hey all,

I am looking for a little advice about a purchase I am thinking about making. I am looking at buying a Cub G4. It is not for my main computer. It is more because I think it is cool and would love to own one. I will probably just use it for browsing the internet, word documents, and hookin it up to my tv to watch movies from it. Will it serve those purposes fine?

I think the asking price is steep as they want $300 for it. Is that reasonable?

The Specs as they were given to me are
    Model # m7886
    130 GB
    6 USB ports
    -2 monitor
    -2 keyboard
    -2 tower
    2 FireWire
    1 VGA port
    1 network port
    1 USB wireless adapter
    1.5 GB RAM
    Mac OSx
    CPU speed 450MHZ
    CPU Type PowerPC G4

Here is the image I have of it.
    [​IMG]

Any help on the price would greatly be appreciated.
    pcb

Attached Files:

2. macrumors regular

unless you are buying it for a ornament i wouldn't waste your money, buy a mac mini.

3. macrumors 68000

if you really like the design but want a usable machine, you can try to upgrade the processor with a sonnet encore g4 upgrade (not sure if its a socket cpu or soldered to the MB) or you could really go all out and gut it and replace its internals with a mini.

http://www.123macmini.com/macminicube/

but no $300 is not really reasonable.

4. macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

300.00? !! ID PASS!
    60-100 for the whole setup pictured is more realistic & it would be soooooooo slow.

5. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

Without a CPU upgrade, its FAR too expensive. I got my cube this spring for $100 with speakers, AirPort card, and 768MB of RAM. I upgraded the drive to a 7200RPM 80Gb drive for $20, got it up to 1.06GB of RAM for $15, added a Radeon 7500 for $12. I already had kb/mouse and a 17" Studio LCD, but a kb/mouse + 15" Studio display should run you no more than $70 on eBay. In other words, he wants about $100 more than you should consider paying. Continue to shop around I would say.

6. macrumors regular

Get an Intel C2D Cube!

First of all, I can see where the OP is coming from. I too think that the :apple: Cube is a peice of art, and would buy one just as that!!

However, I saw this article somewhere where the writer used the outside case from his :apple: G4 Cube to encase a mac mini (essentially creating an :apple: Intel Cube).... you should Google that, buy a cube body from eBay and go to Town!!

That would be awesome..... :rolleyes:

7. pcb
    thread starter macrumors member

pcb

I understand what you all are saying about the speed and usability of this computer. However I do not want to go the road of the mac mini. I want the Cube because of the design. I love it, it is in my opinion one of the cooler designs Apple has ever created. This cube would be more of a collection piece. I would however likely use it for playing movies and such while hooked up to my tv. But more or less I simply think it is cool. I told the seller that I simply cannot do a $300 price tag for two reasons. One is you all say it isn't worth anywhere near that much and I agree. Second I am in college and simply don't have $300. Thats a lot when your already paying a whole bunch for school. The seller hasn't responded yet. Hopefully they will be willing to slash the price. The have been trying to sell it for over a month with no success so they might just want to get it gone at this point regardless of selling price.
    We shall wait and see.

8. macrumors 68000

9. macrumors 6502

I would ask over at http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/ These cube enthusiasts have a good idea of the current value of cubes, and what can or cannot be done with them through modifications.

10. macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have inlaws who finally replaced their cube with a MacBook Air- I have been telling them to sell the cube- I think they would be happy to get $75+ for it! I think the set up is the same as the one you picture- they have the same monitor- not sure about the specs though. I think they have done no upgrading

11. macrumors 601

jaw04005

First of all, like others have suggested I think $300 is too much. I've seen them sell from anywhere around $100 to $200 and even less on Craigslist.

Sigh. Everytime I see threads like this, I think gone are the glory days of Apple design.

They haven't made a substantial design change to their Mac products in years.

12. macrumors 68020

uh...Mini? Unibody? Cinema display? iPhone? Shuffle? iMac?

13. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Mac mini = no change, same design since introduction in Jan. 2005

MacBook Pro = same design since PowerBook G4 aluminum introduction in Jan. 2003, even with the unibody enclosure and black bezel — they’re still made out of aluminum and look very similar to their aluminum G4 counterparts

Mac Pro = no change, same design as PowerMac G5 introduction in June 2003

iMac = same design as iMac G5 introduction in Aug. 2004, there have been minor updates over the years to slim down the chassis — even with the Aug. 2007 update to an aluminum/glass enclosure they retain the original iMac G5’s core design (an upright LCD monitor with a chin)

Cinema Display = same design that dates back to June 2004 for 30”, 24” is basically a modified iMac chassis

iPhone = not a Mac, but has kept the same design since its introduction in Jan. 2007, except replacing the aluminum back with plastic

Shuffle = not a Mac either, has changed and changed back, was originally introduced in Jan. 2005 with a gum stick/lighter design, then moved to a square shape in Sept. 2006, in March of this year Apple changed it back to the gum stick/lighter design, now in aluminum

Go back and look at the complete design overhauls of the G3/G4 era. It was basically something new (for better or worse) every other revision across the entire Mac product line.

14. macrumors 68000

maybe their record high profits and growing market share is telling apple they are doing something right with their current designs.

15. macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

16. macrumors member

Hey FlyFish29,

I would give them $100 plus shipping for all that!

17. macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Don't spend too much on those cubes unless you want to do some serious work upgrading them. I know you like it for the style but they're just not very functional without some good upgrades. It would, however, make a good basic needs computer, but forget about running flash (like hulu or youtube).

18. pcb
    thread starter macrumors member

pcb

How about just running videos off the hard drive? From say itunes. Will it be able to handle that okay?