Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
USA
Cube G4-500 here. I cannot get it to boot at all. I get the gray screen with flashing folder/question mark/face. I tried to boot from the HDD, CD, and using target disk mode. Nothing can get me out of this, and I know the HDD is good because I pulled it out and re-imaged it on another machine just fine. The power button on the cube and studio display shut the machine off and turn it on just fine. I am perplexed.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Did you reattach the IDE cable when putting it the new HDD in? How are you trying to start it up from a disc, pressing C or Option? Try holding down Option, it works every time. I've found the C button doesn't always force it to boot to the optical drive on older Macs.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
USA
Did you reattach the IDE cable when putting it the new HDD in? How are you trying to start it up from a disc, pressing C or Option? Try holding down Option, it works every time. I've found the C button doesn't always force it to boot to the optical drive on older Macs.

I did all of this :confused:

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
USA
already reset PRAM - however, I didn't notice if there was a jumper on the HDD, good call. I will check that out after work tonight.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
USA
swapped out the cube HDD for a known working HDD with OS 10.4 on it (from my powermac G4 which was running perfectly) and jumper was in place. It started to boot with the gray screen and apple, then "starting mac os x" and immediately afterward I got a bunch of vertical white and gray columns on the screen that I could only describe as a zebra.

Now what?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Failing video card or screen perhaps? Could also be slightly corrupt installation of OS X that is only triggered by something only present in the Cube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.